NBC News is looking for a highly motivated and experienced (local or network) Assignment Editor to work in the Chicago Bureau. In this position you will coordinate with producers, senior producers, writers and reporters in the general production of news contact for broadcast and the web. Responsibilities will include:
- Coordinate the gathering and feeding of news materials
- Effectively research, coordinate & implement coverage of breaking news & on-going stories
- Find & book characters who help define a story
- Closely work with producers in organizing, setting up & coordinating elements for all NBC News platforms
- Initiate & maintain communication with affiliates & News Channel counterparts
- Effective use & monitoring of social media sites & the web
- Participate in daily network-wide conferences
- Pitch story ideas to all NBC News platforms
- Organize & maintain crucial queues: desk log, story digest & who's where to reflect change
- Establish & maintain working story & contact files
- Watch & interact with NBC broadcast, web & other platforms
- Monitor competitive broadcasts, cable and web platforms
- Ability to put together a story coverage plan & layout with oversight from management
- Must have a Bachelor's degree
- minimum 2 years assignment desk experience
- Solid working knowledge of TV production, affiliates & satellite operations
- Working knowledge of microwave & satellite trucks, live-u, b-gan, mcds
- Understanding of newsroom computers & files
- Considerable experience with research tools like Accurint Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours , under tight deadline pressure, occasionally with little or no warning (i.e. breaking news).
- Ability to work effectively in a stressful, deadline driven environment where teamwork is fostered
- Must be willing to work in Chicago, IL
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Strong news judgment & communication skills are essential
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to jump in & quickly access what is needed on coverage of a breaking story
- Strong booking skills