Please read carefully. If you do not submit all requested materials, we will not be able to review your application.We sell over 150,000 products, and each has its own snippet of text describing what the product does and how it works. Part of your job will be to write product copy as needed for new products and departments, as well as overhauling and improving on the text we already have on our pages. Some text will be oriented toward SEO, but all or nearly all of it will be customer-facing. You'll also be working on numerous other writing projects on an as-needed basis, from writing about the history of the crossbuck to explaining swimming pool sign legislation to our customers. We're a surprisingly content-heavy business, and your text will be what convinces our customers to buy, but also what helps them determine which product is right for them.While working here, you may learn a lot about digital marketing, SEO, conversion rate optimization, a/b testing, and e-commerce. There are also opportunities to gain technical skills relevant to your work. We're a pretty entrepreneurial bunch of self-starters, but we support our staff with lots of opportunities for training.JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Professional, paid experience as a commercial copywriter, poet, copy editor, or journalist. If you can show us clippings, it counts. This is critical. We cannot accept applicants who do not submit published writings.
- You will be asked to pass an editing and writing test demonstrating that you can research, compose and proofread quickly, skillfully, and effectively, from calls to action to product information.
- This job will require a great deal of independence. You must be assertive, confident and able to identify and develop your own projects. SmartSign is oriented toward those who don't need to be micromanaged, but who look out for opportunities to strengthen the company.
- Familiarity with basic principles of SEO a plus.
- BA or BFA in English, creative writing, poetry, rhetoric, journalism, or similar preferred.
- We are proud of our company's tradition of diversity, and we welcome any and all qualified applicants, regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, political affiliation, marital status, disability, age, or gender.