The University of Virginia
The University of Virginia seeks nominations and applications for an innovative leader to fill the position of Creative Director. This position will be responsible for creative work that communicates the key storyline and value proposition of the University of Virginia by personally leading the design and execution of key projects, collateral, and campaigns. The Director will interpret, articulate, express, and evolve the UVA brand over a variety of media, including print, digital, photography, and multimedia. The Director will also establish and maintain core creative approaches that create a cohesive, consistent, and effective brand marketing stream as well as support and extend brand architecture and core corporate identity elements. This position will manage staff and resources, produce against multiple deadlines and initiatives, create and maintain productive work processes and controls, and provide creative oversight, guidance, and direction to creative work. The ideal candidate must have the ability to translate marketing strategy, brand positioning, and specific business objectives into forward-feeling creative approaches that move audiences towards deeper engagement with the brand. The position reports to the University’s Deputy Chief of Marketing.
The University of Virginia is distinctive among institutions of higher education. Founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819, the University sustains the ideal of developing leaders who are prepared to shape the future of the nation. The University is public, while nourished by the strong support of its alumni. The students who attend have been chosen because they show exceptional promise. The University remains the No. 2 best public university in the 2013 edition of the U.S. News and World Report rankings. Since U.S. News began ranking public universities as a separate category, U.Va. has ranked either No. 1 or No. 2.
- * Bachelor’s degree in Design or related field with 7 years of industry experience, or advanced degree with at least 5 years of progressive experience. Agency experience preferred.
- * Experience leading and mentoring small creative teams – including writers, photographers, and graphic or digital designers - in conceptualizing and executing across multiple channels and media.
- * Proven understanding of brand architecture, brand identity, and brand positioning as it informs creative work. Experience with national brands preferred.
- * Demonstrated ability to lead top-shelf brand positioning and creative work, preferably for national brands.
- * Deep knowledge, demonstrated ability, and discipline in design fundamentals with focused experience in print and at least one other modality (web, interactive, integrated media, etc.).
- * Knowledge of higher education institution or other highly complex and decentralized organization is a plus.
- * Experience working as part of a team serving multiple clients.
- * Basic process and project management, from top-line strategy to traffic control.
- * Ability to understand, support and help develop complex creative and communications strategies.
- * Current fluency in best practice for creative work including design, distribution, and visual effect.
- * Excellent presentation skills; capable of representing the department and its work to executive leadership.
How to Apply:
To express interest in this opportunity, please apply online at https://jobs.virginia.edu.
Search Posting Number 0614057 and complete the staff application.
The position will remain opened until filled and the search will be carried out with full confidentiality; candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
For further information or to provide nominations, please contact Jeremy Duff by email at email@example.com.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.