Managing Editor - WVIT
Manage employees in the assignment desk, photography and truck operator units. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Act as key decision maker for breaking news events. Be actively involved in breaking news coverage: lead the team by deciding what crew goes to the scene, whether team coverage is needed and when to break into programming. Anticipate special news events and create plan for coverage.
- Work directly with Digital Lead and News Management to own news content (especially breaking news) across multiple platforms on a daily basis
- Schedule Photographers, Truck Operators and Assignment Editors. Work with Assistant News Director to coordinate schedules/changes to be certain Photographers and Reporters are staffed to capacity and with consistency. Monitor schedules so that overtime is managed to the budget. Ensure employees adhere to overtime policy by receiving management approval for any overtime. Track overtime.
- Responsible for overseeing daily and enterprise editorial content produced by reporters, along with Assistant News Director
- Coordinate with Creative Services on topical promotions
- Work with news managers and editorial team to execute news vision and brand model across multiple platforms
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in a television station including: work in a broadcast news environment, coordinating assignments, generating story ideas.
- Must be willing to work at the location in West Hartford, CT