Deputy Politics Editor
- Full Time
The Daily Dot is the Web’s most comprehensive source for original Internet news and among the fastest growing media companies in the world. Our content reaches 15 million readers each month. We tell the story of the Internet each day with uninhibited reporting on the people, apps, memes, and movements that are shaping the Internet generation.
The Daily Dot’s Politics section is dedicated to the intersection of the state and the Internet.We’re looking for a deputy politics editor who thrives in that dark space between the two—someone equally comfortable delving into a data dump to find an exclusive story, jumping on the news desk to cover a breaking event, or delivering an agenda-driving feature.
Desired skills and expertise
- 5+ years of journalism experience.
- Familiarity with the Daily Dot brand, Web culture, online privacy and cybersecurity, and technology policy issues.
- A proven ability to find, pitch, and edit features and direct editorial operations.
- Experience working as part of and managing a virtual team a plus.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfortable in a small, intense, and high-growth start-up/entrepreneurial environment.
Roles and responsibilities
- Oversee daily news stories and larger, more investigative features from pitching through publication.
- Develop a beat strategy to build sources and grow the section’s influence and network.
- Working with the Politics editor and other members of the editorial team to achieve personal and section-level goals.The ideal candidate would be located in New York, Austin, or Washington, D.C.