- Full Time
Candlewick Press, a leading publisher of books for children located in Somerville, MA seeks an experienced Publicist to join our talented team. This position is to be an integral part of the leadership and vision of the marketing, publicity, and events team. The position offers involvement in both the conception and execution of the positioning and publicity of the Candlewick list including key frontlist titles as well as the publishing for ongoing brands and key properties, and work in the character and tie-in publishing programs. This includes helping to create marketing plans and overseeing printed and electronic materials describing such. It is to tend to the publicity and travel needs of Candlewick authors and authorless properties and to be the liaison between those creators and the media.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Involvement in creation of general marketing and publicity plans for upcoming lists. Working with Executive Director to develop strategic exposure for Candlewick authors, illustrators, brands and titles, includes involvement in development and management of the budget for these projects
- Overseeing publicity campaigns for select projects, including planning and executing media placement for both book review coverage as well as off-the-book-page coverage for select titles and authors to include social media campaigns when appropriate. He or she will be the primary liaison between their authors and illustrators and the media as well as the bookseller community
- Planning and executing event tours and authorless event programs when appropriate, including traveling with select authors while on tour. This includes making all necessary arrangements, booking all media for the tour, and coordinating the author appearances with book orders as well as helping with bookstore outreach when necessary
- Planning and managing the creation of items needed for promotion and publicity of assigned titles, including press releases, author q&a's, activity kits, as well as promotional items
- Travel to offsite meetings, regional shows and national publishing and trade show conferences when appropriate
- Provide proactive input with other members of the publicity and marketing team for catalog development, sales conference, title information sheets, and all other forms of in-house and external communication about our marketing activities for key properties
Requirements: Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and verbal and written communication skills are required along with the ability to juggle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment; a minimum of seven years’ experience in a publicity role at a publishing house or within the media industry is necessary and children’s publishing experience is strongly preferred. The ability to travel is also required. The ideal candidate will possess good knowledge of the children’s trade publishing sector and a strong set of developed contacts and relationships within the greater trade and consumer media world.
This is a full-time, in house position. A comprehensive benefits package is offered including medical, dental, life, ltd, and supplemental insurance; 401k plan with profit sharing provision; flex spending participation; generous paid time off and much more.Candlewick is an EOE.