- Full Time
Do you love building relationships with authors and the press to find new and better ways to get great books into the hands of readers worldwide? Do you thrive in situations where you are frequently allowed to step up beyond your job description? Are you excited by the idea of book publicity within a company that is disrupting the industry and empowering many more authors to be recognized?
The Amazon Publishing PR team is looking for someone creative, self-motivated, results-oriented, and experienced to drive publicity campaigns for our fiction titles, primarily published under our Thomas & Mercer and Lake Union imprints.
This Senior Publicist will already have experience strategizing and executing highly successful title-based media campaigns, strong media relationships, excellent communication and presentation skills.
Amazon has spent two decades revolutionizing the way we discover, buy, and read our favorite books. Amazon Publishing boasts an exciting list of diverse books, from international bestsellers, debut fiction, and books for kids of all ages, to heart-pounding romances, high-velocity thrillers, and stunning science fiction. Our bestselling authors include Robert Dugoni, Catherine Ryan Hyde, Marcus Sakey, Catherine McKenzie, Allison Winn Scotch, Blake Crouch, Camille Pagán, Barry Eisler, T.R. Ragan, and Anne Frasier.
The Amazon Publishing Senior Publicist works with editorial and business leadership on acquisition strategy, creates and implements broader author- and imprint-branding strategies, and ideates and leads strategies for reader engagement through social media and the blogging community. The ideal candidate is motivated by a dynamic, highly creative culture where the challenge of breaking new ground and redefining best practices is welcome. In this role, the candidate will have an opportunity to innovate on behalf of authors and readers, and influence the future of our publishing house.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and execute publicity campaigns for Amazon Publishing titles from the Thomas & Mercer (mystery and thriller) and Lake Union (contemporary and historical fiction) imprints
- Strategize and execute broader, non-title specific author- and imprint-branding strategies to promote Amazon Publishing
- Write press materials; pitch and secure top national and local media, including print, broadcast and online outlets
- Create and manage media lists and build strong relationships with key media
- Work closely with editorial and business leadership on title acquisition and provide feedback on general acquisition strategy
- Collaborate closely with editorial, marketing, and promotional teams in order to drive successful title launches and build author brand awareness
- Build strong relationships with house and new authors
- Periodic travel to Amazon Seattle Headquarters, and to author events and conferences
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4+ years of book publicity experience, including experience strategizing and executing highly successful title-based media campaigns
- 4+ years of promotional material creation, including writing press releases, and media list creation and management
- 2+ years of individual management experience strategizing and executing highly successful title-based media campaigns
- Existing book media relationships, particularly with genre-focused media
- Working knowledge of social media platforms as leveraged for author promotion
- Interest, expertise, and engagement in the book publishing community
- Role will include approximately 15% domestic travel
- Superior communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects and work flexibly and quickly
- Ability to use excellent judgment, particularly in narrow time frames
- Commitment and dedication to achieving team goals
- Painstaking attention to important details
- Ability to communicate effectively with bi-coastal teams and efficiently manage and problem solve any challenges that arise
- Ability to deal with ambiguity
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment
- Motivated by a start-up culture; entrepreneurial approach