Reporter - SC Magazine
- Full Time
Haymarket Media, Inc is seeking a Reporter to join the SC Magazine team. This position is located in our New York, NY office.
Cybercrimes of all kinds are making mainstream headlines virtually every day. From massive data breaches impacting the likes of Target to cyber espionage assaults launched by other countries on federal agencies, online attacks have spiked to an unprecedented level. For some 25 years, SC Magazine, a Haymarket business-to-business website and publication, has been all about furnishing the most timely, independent news, features, product reviews, online and live events, and more to those professionals fighting against these onslaughts. And now, we’re in search to add another Reporter to our team to help us continue to fulfill this mission.
This role is dedicated to supporting SC Magazine’s long-standing position as the leading media resource in the information security marketplace, as well as helping to maintain the award-winning brand reputation for strongly written, objective, leading–edge articles on the website and in the magazine.
- Craft stories for both website and 10-times-a-year publication
- Moderate online and live events
- Conduct/host online video interviews with aplomb – SC’s numerous events include SC Magazine Awards, SC Congress events, online e-conferences/symposia, etc
- Handle face-to-face and phone meetings with senior industry executives, government leaders, and other industry luminaries
- Contribute timely, enterprise, and lively story ideas to SC team as well as having a mind’s eye to break the big story and see compelling ways of presenting stories to the SC audience
- Establish a strong network of contacts
Skills and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Major in journalism or communications preferred
- Experienced reporter with solid journalistic acumen and integrity
- 1 ½ - 2 years professional experience as a solid senior reporter for either B2B or consumer brands
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize tasks, stay organized, and establish a strong network of contacts
- Some knowledge of the IT and/or information security market is desirable
- Strong news- and feature-writing abilities
- Tenacious and social; timidity is not in a successful candidate’s vocabulary!
- Some travel is required
About SC Magazine:
Our mission is to provide IT security professionals with in-depth and unbiased information in one incomparable publication and a robust web presence. With each monthly issue and the many informational offerings on our website, we reliably achieve this mandate. Timely news, comprehensive analyses, cutting-edge features, contributions from thought leaders, and the best, most extensive collection of product reviews in the business are our hallmarks. SC Magazine has been covering the marketplace and campaigning for organizations’ information security leaders since 1989, making it the longest established IT security title in the United States. Visit www.scmagazine.com for more information.
Haymarket has its heart and soul in publishing and media. Since the company was founded half a century ago, Haymarket has always prided itself on being a highly creative business, with an unrelenting focus on the quality of the products and the people. The philosophy has always been quite simple: only by having the highest quality individuals can you produce the highest quality products, combining the best in content, design, production and customer services. Globalization is opening up the world further and provides many opportunities for growth. Haymarket has offices around the world and many of the titles are now truly global brands. Haymarket serves a broad spread of markets, from sport to medicine, from technology to town planning. Haymarket is in consumer, business and customer media, along with exhibitions and live events. Predicting the shape of the business in 3, 5, or 10 years is almost impossible; and the unpredictability is part of the appeal. Haymarket aims to be the perfect company to work with or for – we have the processes and attitude that ensure quality and consistency, and an entrepreneurial spirit that makes every day rewarding.
An equal opportunity employer, Haymarket Media does not discriminate in hiring or terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other protected category recognized by state, federal, or local laws.