- Full Time
At a time of dynamic growth, and as Aperture continues to sharpen its global brand, our Communications Manager will play a key role in the institution. He or she oversees the organization’s communications channels, shaping communications strategies and, with colleagues in the publicity and social media team, handles all publicity outreach, including placement of features, reviews, and author/artist interviews relating to Aperture Foundation initiatives, products, awards and events in local, national and international media, including art and photography publications and online media, trade magazines, mainstream dailies/magazines, television and radio. The team also manages related publicity events, and is responsible for preparing content for Aperture's own website, blogs and our other marketing platforms.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Working closely with the Executive Director, Deputy Director, and Sales and Marketing Director, shape and execute an institutional communications strategy
• Working closely with the Sales and Marketing Director and the sales, marketing and publicity team, to devise and manage successful publicity campaigns for Aperture's programs and projects, including new books, new issues of the magazine, and new exhibitions at Aperture’s Gallery and at partner institutions, and other Aperture themes and projects, including:
• Composing and distributing press releases, media alerts, and other promotional copy
• Devising, organizing, presenting, and promoting events related to Aperture's projects (artist talks, book signings, film screenings, etc.) at Aperture's premises, our partner venues, and book retailers, etc.
• Promoting and negotiating serial rights and other rights agreements, where relevant for Aperture content.
• Managing the supply of press materials, including photographs available for press usage.
• Overseeing digital communications across the organization, including the scheduling and execution of weekly e-newsletters and social media activity
• Contributing to and helping manage Aperture's other online resources, including the blog, project microsites, etc.
• Project managing the execution of marketing materials (print ads, fliers, postcards, etc.)
• Managing and building Aperture's media database and partner contacts lists
• Handling requests from media outlets around the world for information about Aperture’s programs, review copies of front and backlist titles, etc.
• Coordinating event partnerships and cross-promotional opportunities with external institutions, companies, and venues
• Working closely with major partners to plan and execute communications and media outreach around joint programs
• Working closely with the Sales and Marketing Director and team on the production and promotion of Aperture’s annual benefit
• Frequent media reporting to distribution partners, project partners, and published artists and authors
• Ensuring the Aperture brand is appropriately represented at all times
The Communications Manager reports to the Sales and Marketing Director, and is responsible for managing a full time Publicity and Events Associate, a Digital Marketing Assistant (who manages Aperture's blog and social media, and creates online content including project videos), and up to two media interns. The Communications Manager shall also liaise closely with other team members whose work includes a marketing brief, including the Executive Director; Sales Director, Books; Web Manager; editorial and development staff; and our part time Online Editor.
The successful candidate is asked to demonstrate:
- Proven track record of devising and executing promotional strategies and placing media stories
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the arts and culture, with at least 3 years in marketing, communications, media relations, or a related area
- Established media connections and relationships
- Willingness and ability to pitch projects cold to new contacts, in writing and in person
- Confident and engaging personality
- Successful track record of mounting or supervising social media campaigns
- Creative flair and good ideas
- Knowledge of the photography, art, and cultural landscapes in NYC, nationally and internationally
- A passion for photography
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, your current/most recent salary, and how you heard about this opportunity, to email@example.com. Please use the following conventions:
- Subject line: Communications Manager
- Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.pdf
- Resume: yourfirstname_yourlastname_resume.pdf
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NO CALLS, PLEASE
Aperture is an Equal Opportunity Employer