Senior Art Director
At J. Walter Thompson we creative pioneering solutions that build enduring brands and business. We have been connecting brands with consumers and creating engaging stories that shift behavior for over 150 years. We currently have over 200 offices in 90 countries that contain 10,000 of the brightest minds in the business. We owe our growing success to the adoption of a set of simple principles we refer to as the 4 C’s: curiosity, collaboration, capability and courage. It is the embodiment of these traits that makes J. Walter Thompson unique. It is also what we look for in potential new hires.
A Day in the Life:
- Frequently touches base with the creative and delivery leads to ensure deliverables are on time and map to the creative brief.
- Proactively suggests and implements solutions to issues that may impact quality or timing of deliverables.
- Actively participates in team meetings to discuss assignment parameters.
- Ensures that creative resources’ deliverables meet deadlines and follow appropriate approval procedures.
- Manages and prioritizes work effectively, for themselves and team as needed.
Develops tools and recommendations to improve current processes that impact client deliverables.
COMMUNITY & BUSINESS CONTRIBUTION
- Responsible for giving continuous feedback to peers, completing self-review, inputting time consistently, and being aware of personal utilization target.
- Actively develops and leads community-building events.
- Mentors employee(s) on account and is available to critique their work.
Contributes to the development of the creative team’s culture and quality standards in
- pursuit of elevating the creative product
- Actively participates in a Center Of Excellence or special interest group.
What you’ll need:
Excellent eye for design, imaginative, well organized, good-natured, dedicated, flexible and passionate, you bring an expert understanding of visual and experience design, typography, composition and color theory. You also bring a solid understanding of how to partner with content strategy, copywriting, technology and media. Besides a Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Fine Arts, Multi-Media Design (or a related field), you have the following:
- Experience with Wine and/or Adult Beverage industry is an A+
- Stellar digital design portfolio that demonstrates conceptual thinking and an ability to define look and feel for integrated experiences
- 5+ years design experience, preferably in an interactive agency
- Expert command of standard design and layout applications (e.g. PhotoShop, Illustrator,InDesign). Competency with at least one of, as well as experience or exposure to the following: Flash ActionScripting, video editing (e.g. FinalCut Pro), or motion graphics (e.g. After Effects).
- Demonstrated ability to utilize feedback/direction from creative lead to generate multiple design explorations and iterate designs to the satisfaction of lead (and ensure junior resources do the same).
- Has managed and lead multiple assignments at the same time (including organizing and prioritizing others’ workload, and working efficiently under pressure in a deadline-driven environment).
- Sophisticated understanding of the digital landscape, including online campaigns from ecommerce websites to microsites, social media and online advertising.
- Creative problem solving skills that enable you to establish a look and feel for a program, evaluate a creative approach, brainstorm, think and respond quickly while delivering unexpected, original and innovative ideas;
- Careful attention to detail and management of version control issues.
- Expert knowledge of and the ability to lead the production process (e.g. optimizing graphics, compression settings and file size and image optimization)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Able to clearly articulate your creative process, thoughts, ideas and a point of view about your work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, a sense of humor and the ability to thrive in a collaborative agency environment with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Advanced understanding of technical and cross-platform implications (e.g. strengths and limitations of Flash, Ajax, Flex, and other emerging platforms).
- Experience in directing and motivating project teams, guiding junior resources, inspiring teamwork and leading a team toward a great creative product.
- Experience in planning and executing shoots for video and still photography
- Solid knowledge of and the ability to communicate steps required in creative development process: provides guidance to achieve creative direction; gives timely and helpful coaching; and produces all work in a timely, cost-effective manner.