Account Director - Healthcare
At J. Walter Thompson we create pioneering solutions that build enduring brands and business. We have been connecting brands with consumers and creating engaging stories that shift behavior for over 150 years. We currently have over 200 offices in 90 countries that contain 10,000 of the brightest minds in the business. We owe our growing success to the adoption of a set of simple principles we refer to as the 4 C’s: curiosity, collaboration, capability and courage. It is the embodiment of these traits that makes J. Walter Thompson unique. It is also what we look for in potential new hires.
We are looking for an Account Director to manage 2 mature DTC brands at the agency as part of large respiratory portfolio. As an Account Director you will be responsible for steering the strategies on your client’s business while ensuring the agency is fully prepared to meet all of the client’s marketing and communication needs. The Account Director leads the team toward the overall account vision, creates new solutions for driving the business forward, motivates team members to greater contributions, and has impact with client directors and influence with client officers.
Reporting directly to the Business Director and managing 2 out of the 4 products in the portfolio, you will be working with a small nimble account team. This is a huge opportunity for a senior level AD ready to really take on a business that has recently launched a very successful DTC campaign and looking to evolve the business even further. There is also large opportunity to manage future product launches within the portfolio. Given the significance of this new business win this is an extremely high profile opportunity within the agency.
Here are some important things to know:
- We want a very strategic AD who is always thinking, always pushing and wants to find the best solution.
- Working as the consumer AOR across the brands, we work closely with the professional, digital and media agencies to help guide the brands in all aspects.
- Finance reporting and tracking is huge on this account, so you should have a good handle on financial reporting and secretly be a numbers nerd.
- There will be travel, but luckily it's a quick Acela train ride away and only once or twice a week.
- Attention to detail is key. Every step of the way.
- It’s going to be intense, but fun.
Need to have:
- DTC/Pharma with TV and print experience
Nice to haves:
- Respiratory/Category experience
- OPDP submission knowledge
A Day in the Life:
Set and implement long and short-term objectives and strategies for the business.
- Achieve complete command of the key drivers of the category and the client’s business
- Partner with planning director to establish communication objectives, and develop communication briefs
- Inject creative development process with strong business perspective
- Lead agency participation in client innovation/new product development
Play a key role in generating actionable insights, communication ideas, and business-building ideas and selling them through to the client.
- Think pro-actively about client’s business
- Run client meetings and instill them with confidence
Drive integrated thinking and communication solutions across the agency team.
- Identify internal and external resourcing needs
- Drive collaboration across agencies while allowing ideas to flourish in individual channels
- Ensure all communication strategies are aligned with business goals
Review and evaluate in-market communication initiatives.
- Determine overall effectiveness
- Codify learnings and ensure re-application
Assume final accountability for all day-to-day projects
- Lead team in finding the most efficient, optimal process
- Ensure most effective use of resources
- Be the primary internal and external contact for all activities of the account
- Resolve conflict through mutually beneficial negotiation
Develop and manage annual work plans and fees with PM and finance
- Responsible for efficient management of agency resources
- Lead internal forecast/reconciliation conversations and advise BD accordingly
Educate clients about Agency capabilities.
Develop, train, and mentor AMs, and AAs
- Assign projects, determine priorities
- Manage workloads while providing opportunity for learning and development
- Seek and support participation in training programs
- Coach on relationship management
- Provide performance evaluations
- Actively search for and recruit new talent to the Agency
What you’ll need:
Entrepreneurial. Think like an entrepreneur - need to focus on the outcome, not just on the process. Be incredibly action oriented. Think differently about problems and help figure them out. Pioneer new ways to working and forge the relationship with the clients based on business, not golf outings.
Creatively minded. Ability to recognize a great idea and empower the creative teams to see it through. Do not kill ideas because the client won’t like it. Be comfortable with being uncomfortable in order to push the boundaries on the work we make, while providing the business context needed for the work to be successful.
Business centric. Don’t be afraid to dig deep into the business to understand where the pain points are. Be able to link our work directly back to the business as much as possible. Question everything.
Positive. We hire positive people. This is critical to foster a highly collaborative environment.
Experience. Let’s start with a BA and 9+ years in an agency or related environment.
Leader. Push the internal team to operate at the highest level at all times.
Thinker. Have the courage to imagine new ideas, encourage dialogue and debate.
Confident. In the presentation of yourself, the work and the agency.
Maturity. Plus a great sense of humor.