- Full Time
The Daily Dot is the Web’s most comprehensive source for original Internet news and among the fastest growing media companies in the world. Our content reaches over 15 million readers monthly. We tell the story of the Internet with uninhibited reporting on the people, apps, memes, and movements that are shaping the Internet generation.
The Daily Dot is looking for an editor who can effectively lead the Entertainment section and ensure authoritative coverage of its core focuses: YouTube, Netflix and streaming, podcasts, SoundCloud and Spotify, comedy, Vine, and the intersection of celebrities and mainstream entertainment with the Web. The editor will directly manage a team of staff writers and a stable of freelance contributors. Daily Dot section editors lead by example with thought-provoking features and breaking news reporting as necessary. The position reports directly to the Assistant Managing Editor.
This job is NOT for people who are exclusively writers or broadcast personalities, nor is it about celebrities, Hollywood movies, or TV reviews.
Desired skills and expertise
- 5+ years of journalism experience
- Demonstrative history developing larger editorial strategy and promotional efforts.
- A proven ability to find, pitch, and edit features and direct editorial operations
- A thorough understanding of Web culture
- Proven ability to work on deadlines
- Experience managing a virtual team
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize effectively in a fast-paced environment
Roles and responsibilities
- Develop and maintain a section budget and editorial calendar
- Find, assign, and edit stories, ensuring that each one has appropriate art and multimedia
- Collaborate with writers to develop voice, reporting, and longform feature skills through ongoing feedback and semiannual performance reviews
- Hold weekly section meetings, communicating the priorities and strategies for the writers
- Help develop and execute social media strategy, including Facebook, Twitter, and newsletter promotion
How to apply
Send a cover letter and résumé by email to email@example.com. Reference “Entertainment Editor” in the subject line.