Senior Communications Specialist
- Full Time
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a talented 360-degree communications professional with an entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to help shape the reputation of one of this country’s leading institutions in nursing education, research and practice.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Communications and Marketing at Columbia University School of Nursing, the Senior Communications Specialist will help to implement the School’s strategic marketing and communications plan by: identifying and acting upon opportunities for proactive media placements in professional and consumer media; pitching and building relationships with media on behalf of the School; and creating content to be strategically disseminated across multiple internal and external electronic and print platforms.
This individual will engage with the School’s clinical and research faculty and students to identify and act on opportunities for proactive media placements in professional and consumer media. This individual will also collaborate with colleagues across Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) to share and leverage content and coverage and to act on media opportunities.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Identifying media opportunities for thought leadership in nurse research and clinical practice within the evolving national healthcare landscape;
- Pitching media and building/maintaining media lists;
- Maintaining visibility among targeted audiences by assisting in stakeholder engagement through social media and other vehicles;
- Developing content including newsletter articles, press releases and other communications vehicles;
- Repurposing content for the Columbia Nursing website, newsletter, social media, and flagship publication;
- Generating meaningful metrics to measure progress towards specific targets;
- Producing short videos when necessary; and
- Overseeing special projects as assigned and performing other related duties.
This position requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in education, training and experience, plus four (4) years of related experience.
The successful candidate will have a strong work ethic, be a self-starter, and have the ability to take a project to completion. S/He will possess high professional standards, the ability to think strategically, and the maturity to serve the needs of multiple clients. Having the ability to share and contribute ideas is essential. The incumbent must have superb public relations instincts and a proven track record of placements in professional, national and local media, and the ability to think conceptually across media platforms. S/He must also possess excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with an aptitude for managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
At least four (4) years of public relations agency, non-profit or corporate public relations experience in the health care arena is required. The successful candidate will also have strong writing skills and an ability to translate complex topics into accessible information.
Experience using PhotoShop and Drupal (CMS) is preferred. Understanding the nation’s healthcare finance and delivery system is a plus.