Copy Editor, Autos
- Full Time
U.S. News & World Report is seeking an experienced, full-time copy editor for our used car team on our consumer-oriented automotive site, usnews.com/cars.
U.S. News has earned a reputation as the leading provider of news and information that helps consumers make decisions, for example with Best Colleges, Best Hospitals and Best Cars. U.S. News Best Cars helped more than 45 million car shoppers in the past year through rankings and reviews of new and used cars.
The primary responsibilities of the used car copy editor will be to copy edit consumer-oriented used car reviews that are written based on the opinions of automotive critics, as well as safety and reliability data. The copy editor will ensure that all reviews correctly summarize reviewer opinion, meet publication standards, conform to AP style and are free from spelling, punctuation, grammatical and factual errors.
Enthusiasm about cars and the automotive market is a big help, but the best person for the job will be just as enamored with tracking down the details on minivans as they are the latest sports cars performance numbers. Most importantly, the best candidate for this job will be passionate about helping consumers navigate the new and used car markets.
The copy editor, used cars will do the following:
- Copy edit used car reviews and other content -- grammar, spelling, AP style, punctuation, SEO keywords, formatting, overall flow and consistency
- Research monthly manufacturer car deals, enter deal information into content management system and write deal summaries
- Fact check new and used car reviews, features, blog posts, and other content
- Collaborate with writers on a regular basis to review edits
- 1-3+ years of professional experience in copy editing
- Expertise and prior experience using AP style
- Journalism experience/degree or technical writing background
- Experience working with online content management systems required
- Moderate knowledge of search engine optimization best practices
- Ability to meet deadlines and be extremely detail-oriented
Please include your cover letter, resume and 3 clips.
We are offering a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes healthcare, dental, vision and 401(k) plan.