Managing Editor - Family Circle
The managing editor of will be called upon to oversee all aspects of the day-to-day operations of magazine, including book makeup; internal production and copy flow; budget and finances; staffing issues and personnel matters. He/she will be the direct report to the heads of both the copy and research departments, as well as to the editorial business analyst and production manager.
Essential Job Functions
Has hands-on responsibility for all phases of production and copy flow. In charge of getting each issue to printer in a timely fashion. Troubleshoots problems with copy and art flow; make new procedures as needed. Proofreads all copy. Maintains relationship with production group in Des Moines
Manages copy editor, research editor, editorial business analyst and production manager.
Creates and maintains monthly editorial lineups and schedules while consulting with editorial, art, production and advertising departments. Manages editorial budget.
Acts as main liaison with external Meredith departments, including the advertising, corporate marketing, legal, human resources, building services and more.
Tackles internal personnel problems and special long-range projects as directed by Editor-in-Chief.
Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
A college degree, preferably in English, Journalism or Communications.
* Minimum of 10 years working at national consumer magazines.
* Minimum of 5 years managerial experience.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Top-notch written and verbal skills a must. A keen eye for detail and strong proofreading and copy editing skills required.
* Must be proficient in Mac usage. Experience with both InCopy and Microsoft Word applications required. Experience with MAO and/or InDesign a huge plus.
* Must be able to multitask and deal with many different issues at once.
* Must be extremely deadline driven and able to foresee potential roadblocks to closing any given issue on time and figure out workarounds.
* Must have experience with book makeup and dealing and negotiating with advertising and ad ops departments.
* Must have strong interpersonal skills and be able to clearly communicate information about deadlines and procedures to the entire staff, all while maintaining morale.
% Travel Required (Approximate) : 5%