Media Relations Senior Associate
Rocky Mountain Institute/Carbon War Room is an independent, non-partisan nonprofit with a mission to drive the efficient and restorative use of resources. We aim to transform global energy use to create a clean, prosperous and secure low-carbon future.
Co-founded in 1982 by Amory Lovins, its Chairman Emeritus and Chief Scientist, RMI now has approximately 150 full-time staff, annual operations of $30 million, and a global reach and reputation.
We are now seeking a Media Relations Senior Associate (equivalent to Account Executive or Senior Account Executive at many public relations and marketing agencies) with 3–5 years of experience in the media and communications field.
This hire will be a full-time member of a 14-person Marketing and Communications team, working with individual program marketers on the creation and execution of programmatic communications campaigns. Responsibilities include: managing a third-party agency, coordinating interviews, messaging briefs and recaps, monitoring media; responding to media inquiries; building and maintaining relationships with journalists, and providing administrative support for PR campaign activities.
This position is located in New York City and reports to the Managing Directors of Communications.
- Design and execute the organization-wide communications strategy with support from the Managing Director of Communications
- Manage an external PR agency team and other vendors in delivering on the strategy
- Design and execute PR plans for all programs and organization announcements in partnership with team program marketers (who are responsible for overall program communications)
- Set up meetings/interviews, capture action items, update status reports
- Craft nuanced pitches for key media at the optimal level of detail
- Monitor social and traditional media and stay ahead of news events and media trends/conversations in key RMI-CWR industries
- Identify proactive opportunities for media engagement across RMI-CWR
- Draft and coordinate production and dissemination of press releases, media alerts, and social media content
- Support reactive media requests for organizational information, commentary/interviews, spokespeople, and event participation
- Use analytics to measure and report on progress on strategy
- Provide media recaps for every PR campaign
- Work with in-house editorial, design, and digital / social media services to execute PR campaigns
- 3–5 years’ of experience in media relations, either from the client or agency side
- Highly professional and organized
- Creative, meticulous attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Excellent communication and writing skills (AP Style knowledge preferred)
- Ability to turn around high-quality work on tight deadlines under pressure
- Familiarity with the following technologies and programs:
- Cision, Meltwater, PRNewswire, or equivalents
- Google (Gmail, Gchat, Google Calendar, Google Drive), Skype, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Xcel
- Knowledge of and interest in energy, finance, and global sustainability issues
- Positive, highly motivated, and flexible with changing deadlines and workloads
- Ability to work with multiple teams on multiple projects and deliver against wider organizational goals
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, or English
Apply on our website here: http://www.rmi.org/Careers