Digital Design Director
Digital Design Director
Requisition Number: STFR002734
Division/College: Marketing and Communications
Location: Boston Main Campus
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time
Posting Date: 12/22/2016
Northeastern University’s digital newsroom is looking for a Digital Design Director to lead a group of designers and developers. The ideal person for the role is an energetic and creative manager with a passion for journalism and for bringing stories to life digitally. He/she will establish a creative vision for the team that is inspired by examples of great digital storytelling from industries beyond higher ed.
- Balance hands-on design work with efforts to evolve and enhance the newsroom’s publishing platform
- Develop an arsenal of tools and templates that allow speedy and repeatable story formats
- Understand UI/UX design, as well as development needs to design digital experiences that engage audiences in meaningful ways and on multiple platforms
- Collaborate with and educate colleagues on digital storytelling
- Streamline workflows and manage projects in a fast-paced environment
- Understand social platforms and how to leverage their engagement potential through great design
If you are excited about leading a team that designs and develops new tools for journalists/storytellers to tell traditional, as well as rich media- and data-driven stories rapidly iterating based on the needs of the newsroom, this is a great place for you. You and your team will create engaging digital experiences on all platforms, including social media.
You’ll be joining a curious, innovative and hardworking team of writers, editors, multimedia professionals and social media producers who love creativity and collaboration. We value those who solve problems, bring ideas and are not afraid to experiment. We also value those who take responsibility for managing their own time and projects without missing deadlines—something that is especially critical for all managers.
The Digital Design Director will report to the Vice President for Communications and will work closely with the Assistant Vice President for Communications.
You must have:
• 5+ years of professional experience in a professional environment, including one that focuses on journalism/digital storytelling
• Outstanding digital and editorial design portfolio
• Respect for code quality, brand standards and deadlines
• Product management of WordPress and large, CMS-powered websites
• Great taste and sense of style
• Great sense of humor
• Lots of energy and positive attitude
• Love of journalism and great storytelling
• Experience in managing designers/developers
• Experience in working with storytellers, including writers and multimedia professionals
Great if you also have:
• Media creation skills including photo, illustration, animation and video
• Solid familiarity with social media platforms and a good understanding of design that engages audiences on those platforms
• Newsroom experience
• Experience with Grunt, Gulp, Webpack and related tooling
• Dabbled in Agile, SCRUM
• Experience with analytics tools
What stands us apart:
• We offer a highly competitive benefits package, including tuition waivers for that master’s degree or certificate you’ve been thinking about.
• A selection of other current offerings includes medical, dental, and vision plans, discounts on technology products, health and fitness programs, generous retirement programs, ample paid time off, and professional development opportunities.
Documents Needed to Apply
2. Cover Letter
3. Digital Portfolio
To Apply: http://apptrkr.com/938193