Knock Knock, creators of witty, design-driven gift products and books (along with anything else that strikes our fancy) is currently seeking a full-time Senior Designer to work in our Venice, California, global headquarters. In this unique, hands-on environment, the Senior Designer will participate in and provide support for all aspects of the Knock Knock design process—from brainstorming and creating product concepts to developing packaging and product design as well as handling a portion of production work and file set up. Working with the Creative Director. The Senior Designer will ensure that all visual materials are completed to Knock Knock standards. The ideal candidate should possess an appreciation and exuberance for paper product, stationery, and books.
Please review full job description below.
If interested, please review our website at www.knockknockstuff.com, then send the following: a letter describing why your abilities would be a good fit with Knock Knock, a copy of your resumé, three to four examples of your work in PDF format, a link to your website/online portfolio, and salary history.
Inquiries that do not include these elements will not be considered. Do not contact us by telephone.
A. Major Role
The Senior Designer is responsible for participating in and helping to oversee the development, design, and workflow of all Knock Knock product and marketing materials from concept to completion. The Senior Designer will guide the work of one or more graphic and junior designers from sketches to layouts to final art working in an open studio to help promote a hands-on team atmosphere that encourages sharing approaches and feedback among all members of the team. Senior Designers will not usually “manage” staff but are designated “senior” because of their authority in design decision-making. In this position, The Senior Designer does take on some project management responsibilities, reporting directly to the Creative Director.
B. Major Contacts
The Senior Designer reports to his/her Supervisor (Creative Director) and will interact with all members of the creative department, i.e., Publisher, VP Brand Development, Creative Director, Graphic Designers, Editorial Director, Managing Editor, Editors, Production Manager, and Production Artists. The Senior Designer will also have contact with the Knock Knock sales department.
C. Major Responsibilities
- Under direction of the Creative Director, concept, design, implement, and manage all product relating to the Knock Knock brand.,
- Work closely with Creative Director on design and messaging to ensure each project for the Knock Knock brand meets Publisher’s expectations.
- Assist in the preparation of all design and production in order to obtain final approvals from Publisher.
- Work closely with Creative Director and Production Manager to determine project time lines, resources, and a smooth workflow.
- Encourage others to share and explore their ideas. Document all creative materials as they occur i.e. keep track of all revisions, updates and concepts that relate to each project.
- Conduct quality control checks and First Article Feedback for product dummies, proofs, and samples.
- Manage and coordinate the creation of product comps and mock-ups as needed.
- Keep the Supervisor (Creative Director) apprised of any ”hot“ issues affecting the health of creative projects.
- Remain up-to-date on all market/design research that affects Knock Knock product development.
2. Team Participation:
- Be second in command to Creative Director. Stay informed and updated on creative department schedule and all projects..
- Motivate, train, and provide creative guidance to other designers and design team members.
- Organize and initiate creative and production meetings within creative department as well as sales/business departments to help ensure proper workflow.
- Keep creative team members apprised of major issues relating to projects and their outcome.
- Train, motivate, and support Graphic and Jr. designers (both freelance and staff), on organization and presentation approach for projects to ensure detail and accuracy as well as successful design approaches that meet the needs of each product.
- Provide any appropriate information for creative team (e.g. Design Directors, Production Artist and Editors) that can assist in their successful completion of creative assignments.
- BA in graphic design or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in print and pre-press production
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Ability to execute creative work from both concept to design to mechanical
- An eye for quality design and attention to detail.
- Ability to execute successful market research for product development.
- Ability to manage product photoshoots for product, marketing collateral and website
- Ability to track, traffic, and complete multiple tasks, projects, and resources within deadlines
- A questioning mind. Ability to take input from Creative Director, and Publisher, as well as from the editorial, and sales teams, and question it to assure that is valid and/or suggest other alternatives.
- Analytical skills. Ability to analyze and interpret a variety of creative techniques and approaches that relate to the Who’s There brand.
- Excellent people skills. Ability to function as member of the creative department and oversee subordinates.
- Ability to develop a strong team relationship with coworkers.
- Proven self-starter, highly organized and able to thrive in a fast-paced creative environment.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal
- The ability to keep a cool head and meet deadlines
- Problem Solving Skills, Adaptable and quick learner
- Meticulous attention to detail
Apply for Senior Designer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly