Macmillan is a group of media companies in the United States held by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck, based in Stuttgart, Germany, which publishes a wide range of books, magazines, and digital products for the consumer and education markets. Our American publishers include Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Henry Holt & Company, W.H. Freeman and Worth Publishers, Bedford/St. Martin’s, Picador, Roaring Brook Press, St. Martin’s Press, Tor/Forge Books, Hayden McNeil, Macmillan Children’s Group, Macmillan Audio and Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Holtzbrinck Publishers, LLC.
Seeking an experienced designer responsible for the YA and middle grade titles published by the FSG Books for Young Readers and Roaring Brook press imprints.
• Conceptualize and execute original book covers for all YA and middle grade titles on the RBP and FSG BYR lists
• Design interior sample pages and create specifications for compositor
• Hire and manage freelance photographers, illustrators, and letterers.
• Work closely art director and editors
• Participate in production meetings and jacket meetings
• Prepare files for the printer, and approve proofs and other progress materials.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
Collaborative, versatile, and creative designer with:
• Ability to concept and create exceptional book design.
• Skilled at photo/art/illustrator research.
• Strong typographic skills.
• Mastery of the current Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
• Ability to work on multiple projects at once and meet tight deadlines.
• Some prior experience with the book making process.
• A minimum of 3 years of work in the field
Educational Background Required:
• College level training at an accredited art school preferred, but not required.