To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
Summary: Quarto Publishing Group USA, the U.S. division of the leading global illustrated book publisher and distributor, the Quarto Group, is seeking a highly creative and motivated book Design Manager to lead a dynamic design and photo research team from its newly acquired division becker&mayer!, located near Seattle, WA. This position is responsible for setting a standard of quality and excellence, managing the departmental workflow and actively contributing to new ideas and title development. This individual is an experienced manager with a demonstrated ability to support, mentor, and inspire members in a fast-paced environment, as well as, meet deadlines, troubleshoot issues and adhere to set budgets. Duties also involve hands-on design responsibilities for book projects, proposals, and sales materials. This candidate will work as part of a collaborative editorial and production team on specific titles, and will lead individual and collective efforts that link to key company-wide goals—both creatively and fiscally.
The key responsibilities for this role are:
- Lead a team of designers and a photo researcher to effectively create and communicate a range of design styles for adult and juvenile books.
- Provide specific art, design and photo guidance and motivate the team to research marketplace trends and content for developing proposals.
- Participate in brainstorms and collaborate with other departments on new ideas that push the boundary on innovative formats, design styles and production techniques.
- Direct and adjust workflow depending on the priorities of the business, enlist freelance support as needed, and provide oversight on contract resources to ensure they fall within budgetary parameters.
- Advise team members on illustration and photo budgets for proposals and projects.
- Anticipate potential design and illustration problems, devise alternate options or solutions and troubleshoot scheduling issues to ensure on-time delivery.
- Act as the primary design contact for all new licenses, review style guides and assess viability of design/illustration assets.
- Foster ongoing relationships with key design and illustration contributors, and explore and develop new freelance partnerships.
- Mentor individual team members and provide set career path and growth opportunities.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications:
- B.A. in graphic design or the equivalent required
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in print design desired
- 3 years of managerial experience desired
- Book-publishing experience desired; packaging-design experience a plus
- Ongoing professional connections to graphic arts professionals desired
- Design experience with both adult and juvenile publishing a plus
- Exceptional computer skills, including MAC OS X systems and MS Office Suite; advanced skills with Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator; digital illustration skills and familiarity with 3-D adaptation a plus?
...then we want to hear from you!
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.
For consideration, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits! Please visit our website at: http://www.quartoknows.com/Corporate/Employment/