Social Media Strategist
Azula.com is a startup website operated by Oceana that aims to help people realize their connection to the ocean through engaging, shareable content. By delivering solely ocean-centric stories and video in an entertaining way, we hope to inspire others to protect our blue planet.
Oceana, founded in 2001, is the largest international advocacy organization focused solely on ocean conservation. Our offices around the world work together to win strategic, directed campaigns that achieve measurable outcomes that will help make our oceans more bio diverse and abundant.
Azula.com — a content-based website for ocean lovers operated by Oceana, the world’s largest international ocean conservation organization — is seeking a talented and driven social media strategist to promote Azula.com content, engage readers and grow reach across multiple platforms. This position will own the goal of generating and increasing traffic to Azula.com through these channels.
The social media strategist will manage both day-to-day and strategic development of Azula.com’s social media channels, weekly newsletters and audience development partnerships with other media outlets and relevant brands. He or she will report to the editor of Azula.com and work closely with her to develop content that resonates with Azula’s audience and drive traffic to Azula.com.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all Azula.com social media channels — including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat accounts — with the goal of significantly increasing engagement, reach and traffic to Azula.com. This includes:
- Writing and scheduling daily editorial content;
- Monitoring daily social media analytics (reach and engagement) to gauge success of social media efforts and initiatives;
- Preparing social media and traffic reports based on analytics, along with recommendations for increasing social media engagement and web traffic based on those recommendations;
- Working with the editor to create a content-testing algorithm based on analytics data;
- Creating Azula-branded graphics and memes for use on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram; and
- Managing paid social media campaigns for Azula.com.
- Research social-media-related industry best practices; identify and recommend new tools and platforms.
- Define, monitor and analyze social-media algorithms, metrics, etc.
- Monitor benchmark brands; identify traffic-driving trends in social media and news consumption.
- Program and schedule Azula.com’s newsletter; assess opportunities for and potentially launch new targeted newsletters.
- Manage and develop new content-partnership relationships with like-minded brands on Facebook;
- Curate media (e.g., gifs, videos, memes) from around the web to share and increase engagement on social channels;
- Work with the editor and video editor to develop video content that will effectively engage Azula’s Facebook audience.
- Develop and execute compelling concepts for Facebook Live.
- Write and produce stories for Azula.com, as necessary.
Education and work experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or related field
- Minimum 2 years of related experience
- Experience with online monitoring and social media measurement platforms, especially Facebook Insights
- Experience creating video for Facebook is a plus.
Skills and knowledge:
- Proficiency in social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat) and Adobe Photoshop
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- In-depth knowledge of Facebook and how it can be leveraged to promote publisher content
- Meticulous attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Ability to be flexible during times of change, shifting priorities, demands and timelines
- Creativity in finding new ways to grow the brand’s reach, engagement and traffic
- Ability to learn, understand and apply new technologies and tools
- Proficiency in gathering and analyzing media data and analytics