Press Officer, Humanitarian
DEPARTMENT: Media and Public Relations
REPORTS TO:Director of Media and Public Relations
COORDINATES WITH: Media Managers, press officers, Public Engagement Department, various campaign and program teams including the Humanitarian Thematic team, Oxfam International and Oxfam affiliates
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To help create and implement media strategies that provide Oxfam America and Oxfam International humanitarian initiatives with high-quality media coverage that influences key policymakers in the United States.
- Generate regular, strategic, high-quality media coverage of Oxfam America’s concerns through sophisticated proactive and reactive media work.
- Help create and implement results-driven media strategies that support work of Oxfam America and Oxfam International campaigns and programs, as assigned.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key journalists in the print and broadcast media Write and develop press releases, op-ed pieces and official statements; coordinate press conferences, mailings, special events and other related work.
- Work effectively with the Oxfam International media team to produce high quality press releases and other products that are effective in the US market.
- Help shape Oxfam’s public humanitarian; messaging concerning countries where Oxfam works and how the US government should respond to humanitarian needs there.
- Create media strategies in coordination with the Director of Media and PR to ensure that all media work is integrated to support broad Oxfam America communications plans and expand the public profile and impact of Oxfam brand in the US.
- Develop and facilitate media interviews for other Oxfam representatives and assist staff with development of media skills.
- Participate in weekly meetings of Media and Public Relations Team and Public Engagement Department to coordinate efforts and develop joint strategies, as well as other meetings for program and campaign work as needed.
- Work collaboratively with Boston, DC and Oxfam confederation staff and assist with efforts to expand the public profile of Oxfam around humanitarian response in the United States.
- Communicate effectively with the Public Engagement Department and other departments (e.g. Resource Development) to ensure awareness of forthcoming media work.
- Monitor, evaluate and draw conclusions on impact of media work. Work with press, advocacy and field staff from other Oxfam affiliates regarding advocacy strategies and initiatives. When appropriate serve as spokesperson for Oxfam. Respond to unexpected and urgent needs. Perform other related duties as assigned.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
S/he will stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field. S/he will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, will perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America mission and goals. S/he will have an understanding of gender equity and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender equity and diversity in our workplace and programs. S/he will be willing to travel, including internationally. Annual travel is likely to be 3-5 trips within the US of 1-5 days each, and 3-5 trips outside of the US for 1-2 weeks each.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
- Experience and Core Competencies:
- 3-5 years of experience in public relations field, ideally specializing in humanitarian work or the promotion of advocacy campaigns.
- Proven ability to persuade by the written and spoken word. Substantial knowledge and proven success with print and electronic media essential.
- Proven success in promoting forgotten emergencies and neglected policy areas in the popular media and with a specialized policy audience.
- Ability to effectively represent Oxfam America and all Oxfam affiliates to the public.
- Knowledge of electronic communications media and other new technology essential.
- Commitment to the goals of Oxfam’s policy initiatives, development work overseas and educational role in the United States. Demonstrated skills in media relations and writing for both the general public and policy makers.
- Demonstrated experience creating and implementing press strategies in the international policy arena aimed at improving the response of governments to humanitarian emergencies.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in the promotion of public policy relating to humanitarian operations and policy.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as public spokesperson with media and large audiences. The ability and experience to balance multiple demands and deadlines with organization and composure.
- Knowledge of issues relevant to international development and international response to humanitarian emergencies.
Preferred: (Optional) Human rights or humanitarian policy background or expertise.
Experience working internationally.
Ability to communicate in Spanish and/or French