To assist the Publications Director and Managing Editor write, edit and produce the two award-winning publications published by the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), PR Tactics and The Strategist, including the online versions. The editorial assistant is in charge of the day-to-day duties related to creation of the daily Issues & Trends e-newsletter, including selecting news headlines and implementing the PRSA highlights. The editorial assistant is empowered to lead the editing process with each department contact.
1. Create the daily Issues & Trends e-newsletter, including selecting new headlines and scheduling the email to membership.
2. Write department features and multi-sourced stories ranging in length from 100 to 2,000 words.
3. Post the online versions of the print publications
4. Assist the Publications Director in creating, developing and assigning feature stories, including special thematic, multistory packages.
5. Copy & edit feature stories ranging in length from 100 to 3,000 words.
6. Read and approve proofs for Tactics and The Strategist.
1. Represent the Society at national events (International Conference, Silver Anvil Evening) and other news-related events.
2. Prepare the print orders for each issue of Tactics and The Strategist.
3. Provide administrative and clerical support as needed.
A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, English or related field. Public relations background a plus.
One or two internships with directly related work experience; experience as a reporter or assistant editor is preferable.
This position requires a knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, plus knowledge of Macs, InDesign and content management platforms (WordPress) as well as social media platforms not limited to Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. Video and audio editing a plus.
The incumbent must have excellent organizational skills demonstrated by the ability to multi-task and meet multiple deadlines, coordinate details, solve problems and work in a fast-paced, team environment.
The position requires strong proofreading skills, with a proficiency in Associated Press style, a keen sense of wordplay and a meticulous eye for detail.
The incumbent must be a good communicator and be able to work effectively under pressure.
Ability to work with all levels of volunteer management structure.
Apply for Editorial Assistant
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly