Staff Writer (Health, Travel, Design)
Spotlight is a next-generation media company that creates informative, inspirational and vibrant content to help people enrich their lives. From food and health content to travel stories, we want our audience to live their best life. Social media is in our DNA as we connect with our following on the leading platforms. We love to collaborate, experiment and innovate. Spotlight is based in New York City.
Spotlight has an immediate opening for excellent writers to focus on health, travel, and design + décor content. This person will work out of our New York City office. The successful candidate will be responsible for creating compelling viral stories and collaborating social media editors on distribution.
- Writing dynamic, interesting stories on health or travel that are shareable
- Pitching story ideas that align with the Spotlight brand and have viral potential
- Meet deadlines to ensure content is completed in a timely manner
- Monitoring trending topics and capitalizing on opportunities to generate buzz
- Tracking best-of-the-web coverage
- Participating in viral brainstorms and collaborating with team members on story ideas
- Contributing to discussions on distribution strategy
- Establishing relationships with experts and influencers in the Travel space
- Supporting creation and refinement of editorial style and curation guidelines
- Bachelor’s degree or above
- 1-3 years writing experience with strong editorial skills
- Strong knowledge of social media and how to design content that shares
- Excellent people skills
- Passion and knowledge about health, travel, or design + décor
- The ability to act as a tastemaker, identifying topics before they become popular
- A solid base of industry contacts
- Experience with WordPress and other CMS platforms
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and writing sample. If we think that you may be a fit, we will contact you for an interview. Please, no recruiters.