The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) is seeking a dynamic communications associate to support and enhance the graphic design, editorial, and event planning work of all public-facing ANSI activities, projects, and publications, as well as associated administrative tasks. The ideal candidate for this newly created position will have proficiency in Adobe Create Suite (including Photoshop and InDesign, at minimum), excellent writing skills, and the ability and desire to pitch in, problem solve, create, and learn, in whatever capacity or medium is required, as part of a strong and collaborative Communications and Events team.
The communications associate will help to enhance ANSI’s global recognition as the coordinator of the U.S. voluntary standardization system by creating the highest-quality web graphics, print materials, and video projects, with guidance from the associate and senior communications directors. This position has the opportunity for significant learning and skills enhancement for an individual who is open to creative thinking, diverse intellectual challenges, and strong teamwork with a group of high achievers who are willing to pitch in at every level to meet ANSI’s communications and event needs (and also have a lot of fun).
Your principal responsibilities will include:
- Implement the graphic design and copywriting of ANSI publications including annual reports, program brochures, advertisements, event flyers and programs, marketing promotions, and newsletters.
- Create web graphics for ANSI.org and outside sites for promotion of ANSI programs, activities, events, and publications.
- Assist with event planning and coordination activities, including trade show logistics (coordination, packing/shipping); event venue and hotel research and coordination; registration management; and other duties as needed.
- Work closely with Institute staff and members to successfully execute meetings, conferences, symposiums, and special events; provide event support on- and off-site.
- Make editorial contributions to and/or proofread all web-based and print media in collaboration with communications team including press releases, marketing collateral, solicited articles for other publications, and presentations, as well as speeches, presentations, and other projects as assigned.
- Coordinate printing projects with multiple outside vendors.
- Assist with video production activities, including scripting, shooting, editing, and other post-production work.
- Provide general editorial assistance (research, copyediting, formatting) to communications team and other members of the staff.
- Provide light administrative support (inventory tracking, registration management, photo archiving).
You should have:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator required; PremierePro a strong plus); please note, a strong working knowledge of page layout and design applications is essential to this position.
- Excellent design skills a must (two or more years of experience, please provide 2-3 design samples).
- Editorial abilities required, especially the demonstrated ability to distill complex, technical information into user friendly text (two or more years of experience, please provide a writing sample).
- Experience developing online and print communications in a fast-paced environment required.
- Proven ability to work as a part of a creative team, generate ideas, and operate with a service-oriented mentality.
- Flexible, problem-solving approach and an appreciation for new and changing challenges and opportunities is required.
- Experience with event planning and coordination a plus; at minimum, an interest in and willingness to jump in and learn is required.
- Light domestic travel will be a component of this position, usually to Washington, DC (no more than 10 days per year).
- Prior media relations and non-profit experience a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
To apply, please include a cover letter, a writing sample, and your salary requirements. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
ANSI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. ANSI does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, disability, national origin, religion, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship or authorized alien status, or veteran status.