Charleston-based Peninsula Publishing is looking for an assistant editor for the Local Palate magazine. The ideal candidate will have 1 to 2 years experience working in media, a strong journalism background, solid research and writing skills, and a deep interest in Southern food and culture. The candidate must be organized, inquisitive, hard-working, flexible, and collaborative.
Published ten times a year, the Local Palate celebrates the food culture of the South, highlighting the people and places that make it the most dynamic culinary region in the country. We bring readers the stories, recipes, and experiences that make food in the South distinct.
- 1 to 2 years of experience in a media organization
- BA in journalism or related degree
- Excellence organizational, communication, research, writing, editing, and people skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines essential
- Manage, research, write, and edit content for multiple departments
- Proof and fact-check print and digital content
- Point person between editorial and other departments
- Assign and work with freelancers on honing content
- Manage editorial intern program
- Represent the magazine at industry functions and events; some travel may be required
Please send resume and brief cover letter outlining your current job and background, as well as three published writing samples.