Content Director (Part to Full-time )
Sprocket Media: A strategic communications and engagement company is seeking a part to full-time Content Director and Editor-In-Chief of Mosaic magazine for the Pasadena, CA office.
The Content Director/EIC (part to full-time, salaried or contract based on experience) oversees all content initiatives, both internal and external, across multiple platforms and formats to drive sales, engagement, retention, leads and positive customer behavior. This individual is an expert in all things related to content, brand consistency, segmentation and localization, analytics and meaningful measurement. The position collaborates with the departments of sales, finance, marketing, creative, customer service and IT to help define both the brand story and the story as interpreted by the customer. The Content Director thinks like a publisher/journalist, leading the development of content initiatives in all forms to drive new and current business. Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Lead and serve as Editor-In-Chief of Personalized Branding title Morgan Stanley Mosaic magazine.
- Ensuring all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content including online, social media, email, point of purchase, mobile, video, print and in-person. This is to be done for each buyer persona.
- Managing the editorial teams and budgets, with direct line oversight of each EIC/Content Director per brand mapping out a content strategy that supports and extends marketing initiatives, both short- and long-term, determining which methods work for the brand and why. Continuous evolvement of strategy is a must.
- The development of a functional content calendar throughout the various verticals.
- Supervising writers, editors, content strategists; be an arbiter of best practices in grammar, messaging, writing, and style.
- Integration of content activities within traditional marketing campaigns.
- Establishing work flow for requesting, creating, editing, and publishing content.
- Conducting periodic competitive audits.
- Working hand in hand with Editors to shape and oversee editorial strategy and financial impact. Effectively outline and communicate plans throughout the group.
- Assist in monthly budget reports and oversight of financial performance, enforcing accountability.
- Participation in the hiring and supervising of content/story leaders in all content verticals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Public Relations or Communications.
- Minimum 5 years magazine experience as a respected leader with multichannel content creation (print and digital publishing, journalism, etc.).
- Hands on experience managing staff and departmental budgets, with proven success in achieving desired results.
- Expertise in all major business software applications (Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, etc.).
- Responsible for hiring, managing, performance reviews, compensation packages, etc. required of staff.
- Audience development and subscription strategies experience a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The Content Director requires a combination publishing and marketing mindset, with the most important aspect being to think “customer first”. In essence, the Group Content Director is the corporate storyteller that must be empathetic toward the pain points of the customer.
- Proven magazine/editorial skills.
- Outstanding command of the English language.
- Training as a print journalist and has a “nose” for the story. Training in how to tell a story using words, images, or audio, and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience.
- The ability to lead and inspire creative personnel and content creators to achieve company's goals.
- Skilled at both long-form content creation and real-time (immediate) promotional content creation, and distribution strategies and tactics.
- The ability to think like an educator, intuitively understanding what the audience needs to know and how they want to consume it.
- Clear understanding of client expectations and needs prior to the creation of a piece (or series) of content.
- Leadership skills required to define and manage a diverse group of contributors.
- Project management skills to manage editorial schedules and deadlines within corporate campaigns.
- Familiarity with principles of marketing.
- Incredible interpersonal skills.
- A willingness to embrace change and to adapt strategies on the fly.
- Great skills in persuasion and presentation (Visio, PowerPoint).
- Needs to be continually learning the latest platforms, technology tools and marketing solutions through partnerships.
- Comfortable with acting as the company's spokesman and advocate via media appearances, interviews, sales calls, trade shows, etc.
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view a computer screen.
- The ability to attend in-person industry and brand events.
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat)
- Basic technical understanding of HTML, XHTML, CSS, Java, web publishing, Flash, etc.
- Work is performed onsite.