Media and Public Relations Manager
Oldways is a food and nutrition nonprofit that encourages healthy eating through cultural food traditions. We are best known for creating educational tools such as the Mediterranean Diet Pyramid and the Whole Grain Stamp, and are responsible for helping to increase consumption of whole grains, as well as introducing the Mediterranean Diet and olive oil to the U.S.
We are hiring a Public Relations & Media Manager who will manage Oldways’ digital and traditional communications and messaging functions/activities; oversee and run our social media accounts; and expand our presence and role as a thought leader.
The successful candidate must be able to see both the forest and the trees, balancing communication strategy planning with implementation tactics to create effective communication messages, disseminate them, and evaluate their impact. We want to talk with you if you have a track record of synthesizing complex information and developing audience-specific messages that are clear, meaningful and effective. Partner outreach, media relations, social media expertise, and database management are also key components of this role.
As our Public Relations & Media Manager, you will be the hands-on, day-to-day person in charge of getting and keeping Oldways and Oldways’ resources and issues well known. If you are hired, you will work closely with Oldways President and Oldways program directors/managers on communications/media management and strategy. You will also be responsible for generating and developing daily social media content and special campaigns/partnerships designed to foster the continued growth of Oldways’ social media channels.
Primary tasks include:
- Build, organize and maintain media lists across food, health and nutrition platforms (including national digital and traditional media), and develop media relationships with key reporters
- Maintain a deep knowledge of the food, health and nutrition space and media landscape to help identify trends, leadership opportunities and hot-button issues; develop proactive opportunities for coverage.
- In conjunction with Oldways program managers, write pitches and story angles to maintain and grow Oldways’ presence across traditional and new media. Develop and execute an outreach strategy for short- and longer-lead storylines, including creating and maintaining editorial calendars for outreach.
- Manage in-house and external blog schedules and contributions. Collaborate with Oldways program managers and President to develop topics with company relevance, timely ties, and hot topics.
- Oversee, plan, and implement daily social media content across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest; generate special social media campaigns (eg. user-generated campaigns, contests) that support goals of Oldways and individual Oldways programs
We’re looking for a talented, multi-faceted communications professional who has deep relationships with media. You have experience writing pitches, managing editorial calendar schedules, creating targeted media lists, and growing social media channels. You have excellent media relations skills – you’ll know how to make the most of the opportunity when a new nutrition study is published or when the government announces new dietary guidelines or regulations.
You’ve worked either in a newsroom, at an agency or in-house (though maybe not your entire career). You are a detail-driven resourceful self-starter, whose love for writing is only overshadowed by a passion for social media. The ideal candidate will be able to juggle a number of different tasks at the same time, and cares about healthy eating and great food. You care about making a difference, and are interested in Oldways’ mission.
Our offices in Boston’s Back Bay are informal. We don't wear ties or heels, and there's a company dog. Yet the atmosphere is intense and totally professional; each staff member is expected to take full responsibility for his or her projects.
If this sounds like the ideal job for you, please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements (and any other materials that will impress us, especially examples of your media placements and social media personality) to Sara Baer-Sinnott. We will treat your application with full confidentiality. Salary and benefits are industry standard for nonprofits, and commensurate with experience. Oldways is an Equal Opportunity Employer. You can learn more about Oldways at www.oldwayspt.org.