A New York media company, with an emphasis on news and lifestyle, seeks a digital-first news editor to tell our audience what’s happening in the world today, and why they should care. Your content will appear online and in print.
The successful candidate will have experience at “a professional news organization, superior news judgment, and excellent communication and leadership skills, and be obsessed with figuring out what people are sharing, liking, recommending, and talking about online.” (That’s a quote from Buzzfeed’s job listing, so if you like them, you’ll love us.)
This job is full-time and based in New York.
● Organize and lead a small team of reporters to create stories of national interest—but discovered locally.
● Quickly assign, edit, optimize and publish long and short features.
● Spot potential viral stories, and find exclusive angles in breaking stories
● Have an overview on the whole package—idea, sourcing, reporting, writing, packaging, marketing.
● Develop fresh ideas hourly, insatiable for exposure, traffic and shining a light on this amazing town.
● Feed the social media team content they can sell.
● Make news judgment calls and aspire to be Editor-in-Chief.
Candidates must have:
● At least 4 years of experience editing for news organization, while managing a team.
● Adept understanding of how the audience consumes news in 2017 and beyond.
● Comfortability with real-time reporting.
● An interest in national and world news, politics, business, tech, and science.
● A digital flexibility and print eye for details.
● GA experience a MUST.
— Applicants should submit a résumé, three writing samples, three web story pitches and proof they have done this before.