NowThis is seeking a Producer to create social videos on our science channel, NowThis Future. This is a mid-level video journalist position, that will allow the person in this role to create both short-form video stories and longer feature pieces for NowThis Media’s science & technology channel.
This position reports to the Senior Editorial Producer, Future. Please send your resume, cover letter and video examples with this application.
- Develop, own, and follow-up on compelling science and technology stories - sometimes with minimal direction
- Own the video creation process from pitch to publish (ideas, reporting, scripting, asset gathering, video editing, prep for publishing)
- Turn around scripts and video edits on tight deadlines (several evergreen videos per week, and breaking science and tech news as needed)
- Channel the NowThis Future voice, creating smart, digestible scripts that drive social media conversations
- Plan ahead for evergreen context pieces and feature stories that can live on our channels for longer than a day or a week and work on executing these in a timely fashion
- Conceptualize and develop both new series and formats for our current programming
- Master the NowThis video editing style and graphics package
- Organize and schedule pre-interview or pre-shoot logistics and details
- Conduct interviews with subjects (in person, on social, or remotely via Skype) to add a unique perspective and push each story forward
- Own the relationship with freelancers, partners, and contributors as projects come up
- Create multiple platform-appropriate edits of all original content
- Work breaking news and event coverage as needed, sometimes off-hours (major announcements or events)
- Work closely with the Senior Editorial Producer to improve the performance of your videos
- Collaborate with Head of Social Video, using data to A/B test and further optimize your work
- A passion for science and storytelling.
- Obsessed with all things science and tech, from medical breakthroughs and trips to Mars to Kickstarter gadgets you’ve got to have
- 3-5 years video editing experience at a digital media organization or a newsroom
- Expert in Adobe Creative Cloud (Premiere Pro and Photoshop a must, After Effects is a plus)
- Proven ability to work on deadline, under pressure, and juggle multiple projects at one time
- A curious, creative, critical thinker, always looking for stories & passionate about visual storytelling
- Sharp understanding of social media and video platforms
- Advanced problem solving skills, ability to troubleshoot technical problems
- Ability to work independently and love of collaborating in small teams
- Eager to create projects with other video makers from start to finish
- Proven ability to generate original ideas while also taking on stories as assigned
- Strong grammar, writing, and copy editing skills a plus
- Familiarity with DSLR cameras, basic lighting, and mobile filmmaking a plus
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.