Editor, Mysterious Ways Magazine
This position is primarily responsible for gathering, writing, editing and developing high-quality original content for Mysterious Ways magazine, our e-newsletter and social media accounts (https://www.facebook.com/mysteriousways).
Mysterious Ways is a magazine from Guideposts, America’s favorite inspirational publisher, featuring true stories of unexpected and wondrous experiences that reveal a hidden hand at work in our lives. Since we launched in 2012, our print and online audience has grown rapidly. We’re seeking a dedicated writer and editor who can uncover the miraculous in unusual places, with the critical eye necessary to sort through the fluff and dig out deep, powerful and credible narratives that defy easy explanation and leave our readers in awe and wonder.
- Research, pitch, write and edit true stories for our magazine, newsletter and website, from Q&As, investigative pieces and first-person narratives to slideshows, blogs and video content.
- Produce daily content for Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram, plus plan social media strategies and campaigns.
- Conduct in-person and phone interviews with experts, authors and contributors.
- Maintain and grow extensive network of freelancers with a focus on finding fresh voices.
- Pitch stories at weekly and monthly editorial meetings, co-plan each issue of Mysterious Ways and build inventory of stories.
- Work through edits and approvals with contributors in a friendly and professional manner.
- Evaluate unsolicited manuscripts and advocate for compelling stories.
- Contribute to other Guideposts publications (Guideposts, Angels on Earth, special interest issues) on an as-needed basis.
- College degree in journalism and/or creative writing, plus 2 to 4 years relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to multitask and work well with editorial, web and art staff.
- Strong writing, editing and interviewing abilities.
- Experience with blogging, video and social media.
- Experience working with celebrity publicists/management a plus.