NowThis is seeking an experienced journalist and leader familiar with video to oversee daily editorial content on our Snapchat Discover channel, as well as crack new editorial formats and direct platform-appropriate news coverage on platforms such as Instagram and Snapchat Stories. The Editorial Lead, Special Platforms is responsible for setting the story slate for our daily editions, assigning stories, top-editing copy and headlines, coaching writers and editorial producers, and planning out themed editions. Our Snapchat Discover edition is 7 days per week, 365, so planning ahead and reacting to breaking news in off-hours is essential.
This position reports to the Editor. Please send your resume, cover letter and clips with this application.
- Ability to top-edit and package news content and think creatively about how to turn into video
- Communicate constantly with the Creative Director to manage daily workflow of stories with a team of creative and editorial producers.
- Maintain editorial/content calendar
- Oversee 2-3 editorial team members, ensuring all stories are delivered on time, fair, accurate and on-brand; jump in to write as needed
- Give constructive feedback to team members and freelancers in a timely manner (in person ideally) and in line with NowThis best practices
- Ensure the daily output of stories feels informative, timely, fresh, and fun, and flows together
- Work closely with the Editor to maintain, improve and channel the NowThis voice and tone
- Hit monthly and quarterly metrics
- Proof all copy and headlines before publish, and review in CMS and on mobile devices
- Schedule publish of daily Snapchat Discover editions, work with publishing team to
- Direct and schedule team members for off-hours coverage
- Communicate status updates to Management on a regular basis
- 7+ years journalism experience, ideally in digital media (video experience a plus). At least 2+ years editorial leadership or management experience
- A sharp understanding of social media and video platforms - and eager willingness to learn more and adapt as this fast-moving environment changes
- Strong news judgment and strong storytelling skills; a passion for news and video
- Highly organized: Ability to multitask, prioritize projects, and communicate progress
- Ability to work under strict deadlines
- Adaptable and able to get things done with limited resources
- Creative thinker
- Breaking news experience
- Familiarity with footage sourcing and video editing
- Experience coordinating across departments: editorial, analytics, creative
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.