Wanted: Educational Content Manager for Brilliant Online Course Production Company
My name’s Edward. I work with entrepreneur and speaker Till Gross.
Check out his TEDx talk with 1.8M views here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtDkg3Xwn7U
Mine (with a mere 80,000) here also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zRJr8rPCgI
Together we run an online course production company that creates done-for-you video courses for entrepreneurs, authors, academics and those with something to say.
Check us out here: http://courseconcierge.com
For the right person, this is a Dream Job – and dream company.
We’re looking for someone…
...for a role that blends journalism, screenwriting, ghostwriting and teaching – extracting all the expertise from our clients’ heads, on topics as varied as autism enterprises to cyber security to Instagram influencing – working it into a logical structure to be presented on-camera.
We need someone who has a definite interest in online learning, curriculum development and the future of education – who relishes the prospect of crafting the best learning experience imaginable.
We are pioneers in the world of online course production, but need to set ourselves apart with the best student outcomes and course completion rates in the industry.
We need someone who is obsessed with the psychology of behaviour change. The courses we develop solve problems, not just aid in the development of skills. We’re not simply marshalling material but inspiring action.
The role will go beyond outlining a client’s content and delve into developing storytelling structures – actively making subject matter more engaging for the end-user.
It’s said that ‘90% of people who buy a book don’t finish the first chapter’. Online courses have the potential to do far better – this is a new frontier – but they don’t yet rival in-person education. How can we close the gap?
Getting this right is a huge selling point for our clients, and we need to be able to talk about our method of doing things with conviction.
If you are someone who…
– Is an impeccable writer, communicator, questioner and outliner
– Understands the world of online courses and has taken, or been a part in creating, at least one yourself
– Has an aura of competence and certainty about them (clients need to feel that they’re in impeccably safe hands during discussions)
– Can be a reassuring presence, instilling confidence in clients (as well as critiquing and debating them where necessary)
– Has creative ideas for sending course completion rates through the roof
…this could be the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
Clients desperately want to know if what they have to say makes sense, is reasoned clearly, or if their argument has holes in it. You will be the one to guide them.
You were probably the best at structuring essays in your high school history class, and you have a deft ability at identifying what someone’s message is, and where chapters in their material lie.
We’re a great company to join. Here’s why…
– We’re brand new (just four months’ old) and you will be getting in at the ground level
– We have an unbelievably engaged team, with world-class people in every department (from video production to research to copywriting and design)
– Our clients are fantastic. We only take on a handful and are incredibly selective in who we work with
– You can work from anywhere in North America, and have freedom to travel
– You will have the dependence of a team and regular income from consistent clients.
Duties will include…
– Extensive strategic interviewing of our clients, over 10–15 calls, to get all of their expertise out of their heads and down on paper
– Working with our director/producer to decide on the format of courses; whether best delivered to-camera, as a talk/lecture, in an interview format, roundtable, or any other style – always keeping an eye to what makes sense from a learning, engagement and user-completion point of view
– Holding clients accountable for work that’s required of them between calls to keep on track
– Writing and editing scripts for course videos, as well as managing the creation of course documents, keeping things simple and concise for the end-user, even with highly complex topics
– Ensuring a smooth hand-off to our director/producer for rehearsals
– Working with our developer to create tremendous learning environments in our members’ areas: structuring course progression and knowing when to insert quizzes and prompts. (You will need to quickly master the mechanics of Learning Management Systems to deliver our courses.)
Most of our clients are on the West Coast and have extremely busy schedules. You need to have a relatively flexible schedule in order for this to work.
We’re a cosmopolitan team and few of us have English as our first language. This is one of the few roles for which it is a requirement. You will be working with powerful and influential people and need to be able to hold your own.
The position will be set at a competitive fixed rate per client, which we estimate will average 30 hours of work.
We aim to start with one new client every month.
The role will be ‘permalance’ – all the freedoms and flexibility of freelance, but you will be integrated with and very much a part of the team.
Please write back with a short letter noting your experience and why you think you would be a good fit. Do not send a CV, but do please note credentials that you think will assist you in the role.
(As a company we have a no CV policy – MediaBistro just sets the field as a requirement. Feel free to attach any old file, the attention will be on your letter.)
We won’t be able to get back to everyone, but for those who stand out, we will be in touch to discuss next steps very shortly.
The deadline for submissions is May 15, though those who apply sooner have an advantage.
If you haven’t heard from us by May 20, please assume that on this occasion you haven’t been selected for an interview.
We will pick one candidate from interviews to begin a paid two-week trial (to assess on-the-job performance and cultural fit) to then move ahead with the role.
Thank you for reading. Best of luck, and we look forward to hearing from you!