Editor, Admissions Insider
Inside Higher Ed, an established and growing national daily online publication covering the complex and compelling world of higher education, seeks an experienced editor to oversee Admissions Insider, a new content channel focused on college admissions.
“Editor” barely captures the breadth of the roles this person will fill. Yes, the successful candidate will drive the editorial vision for the various forms of content we will deliver, and edit – and produce some of – that content.
But this will be a community of interest as well as a source of high-quality professionally oriented content, ultimately offering an integrated mix of information services, events and professional development. As a result, we expect the editor to become an ambassador to the admissions world and a national expert on these topics, as comfortable cultivating college admissions directors and high school counselors as the CEOs of the companies seeking to serve the industry.
The editor will be expected to:
- Take the lead on setting editorial direction for the entire Admissions Insider suite of content products.
- Conceive, assign and write or edit a stream of relevant, compelling content that will inform and engage readers who are professionals trying to do their jobs better.
- Manage a staff reporter and relationships with an array of outside contributors (freelancers, columnists, bloggers) who will produce editorial content.
- Use and interpret traffic and readership data to drive decisions about how best to serve our audience.
- Represent Inside Higher Ed and Admissions Insider in speaking engagements and at other events.
- Develop and launch a series of events that will help build meaningful relationships with our audience.
- Work with Inside Higher Ed colleagues and outside partners to develop other content or services.
- Manage and cultivate online user community.
The successful candidate should have:
- At least five years of professional experience.
- Strong editorial expertise – we need someone with meaningful journalistic chops and excellent editing and writing skills.
- Experience building or running things – be it a publication-within-a-publication, an event series, a brand, or a new venture of another kind.
- Comfort with public speaking and representing an organization.
- Experience with business-to-business content; knowledge of the admissions or higher education market greatly preferred.
Inside Higher Ed publishes breaking news, features, commentary, blogs and other content each weekday, and has quickly established itself as a fresh, authoritative, independent voice for its 1.6 million unique monthly users and 116,000 daily e-mail subscribers.
Inside Higher Ed offers competitive pay, good benefits (including heavily subsidized health, dental and life insurance premiums), and three weeks' vacation. Centrally located in downtown D.C. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and five strong clips via email or by mail to:
Editor, Admissions Insider
Inside Higher Ed
1015 18th Street, N.W., Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20036
No phone calls, please.
Inside Higher Ed is an equal opportunity employer.