Senior Politics Editor
Mic is a diverse news and media company for young people. Our mission is to inform, inspire, and empower our generation to make change happen. Each month, more than 65 million young people rely on Mic to make sense of the world.
Mic is seeking an experienced and dynamic editor to run our political coverage. Top candidates will be original thinkers who care deeply about the way politics affects everyday lives. They will have a track record of working with top talent, breaking news and of assigning and editing stories that generate real impact. The Mic politics editor will be able to spot the real stories that really matter amid the clamor of Political Twitter and cable news, and know how to make them stand out.
- Strong understanding of, and obsession with, politics
- Ability to identify important stories and topic areas early and often
- Understand the bigger picture while managing multiple, daily moving parts
- Marshall a small team around an important story
- Have exemplary editing skills
- Can guide reporters on original, deeply reported stories
- Work closely with the audience team to make sure they are packaged for maximum impact
- Minimum 3 to 5 years managing a high-performing reporting team
- Strong experience editing national political stories
- Ability to assign stories with a clear angleStrong interpersonal skills
- Ability to stay organized and work well under pressure
- Creative, independent, and outside-the-box thinking