Deputy Manager, Content -Video
2 days left
- Full Time
Own the content and communities related to Video. Drive coverage for the Courant’s digital and social platforms, including but not limited to assigning stories to staff writers, blogging, tracking and posting content from other sites and sources, interacting with users on Facebook, Twitter and other social media outlets and assigning, organizing and creating photo galleries and video. Assigned stories must appeal to the Courant’s digital audiences, tapping into what’s hot, what’s new and what people are talking about. Stories must sparkle with vitality, be clear and concise and meet the highest standards of accuracy and fairness. Expectations of position include journalistic excellence, innovation in approach and a comprehensive strategy that will drive audience for the daily newspaper, foster online traffic to given stories and lead to the growth of online communities of interest.
- Work closely with reporters and other content managers to foster the creation of timely, accurate, informative and thought-provoking videos.
- Manage and produce innovative content for all Courant platforms, with critical focus on video production and editing. Monitor trends and audience patterns to make sure the Courant’s digital space is the go-to place to get and share information.
- Coordinate and manage the presentation of video for all appropriate digital channels, including daily management of relevant channel on courant.com. Craft and execute a video plan for stories.
- Meet or exceed daily metrics for page views, video views, social media shares and other measures.
- Hand off stories to other managers as required for final editing.
- Solicit feedback from readers and users, gauging interest in the news of the day.
- Monitor competing websites, print publications, bloggers and others reporting on the community.
- Direct reporters to assign and/or record video to accompany stories.
- Use social media, including Facebook and Twitter, to drive interaction.
- Play a leadership role in the expansion of Video among the Courant news staff, including organizing training, education and the development of best practices.
- College degree preferred
- Five years reporting/video expertise for online or print publication
- Strong news judgment required; management experience a plus
- Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter and other social media
- Knowledge of content management systems
- Excellent reporting and editing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to organize and follow through
- Ability to maintain accuracy in a fast paced environment while managing multiple priorities
- Knowledgeable about web metrics, the latest research about online news, databases and website design
- Knowledgeable about the role social media and mobile play in expanding a website’s reach
- Comfortable with Omniture, using content management systems, HTML and photo/video editing
Hartford Courant Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.