The Education team at U.S. News & World Report seeks an experienced, full-time editor based either in our Washington, D.C., office or a remote location. This person will be responsible for editing consumer-focused content for prospective students and parents looking to make informed choices about higher education. This is the perfect opportunity to play a key role in helping U.S. News Education expand its content and brand.
We are looking for a new team member with a passion for grammar, an eye for detail and an interest in growing professionally. This position requires thoroughly editing product-related content and ensuring that content maintains the tone and voice that represents the U.S. News brand. For example, one of the primary tasks will be leading the editing and publishing process for our online degree profiles, which supports the Best Online Programs rankings franchise.
Specific tasks include:
- Editing content for subject matter, flow, consistency, tone, audience and accuracy.
- Fact-checking all data references.
- Copy editing for grammar, spelling, AP style, punctuation, SEO keywords and formatting.
- QA-ing content to ensure top-quality, error-free work.
- Working directly with the managing editor, business and product teams along with business partners to help determine the best product content for our users.
Candidates must have top-notch editing skills, encompassing both copy editing and content/structural editing, and have a strong understanding of SEO. Beyond the primary responsibilities noted above, this person may also be called upon to help out with editing content from in-house reporters/writers and external freelance bloggers and writers, including articles, blog posts, slideshows and data-driven infographics.
This editing position, which does not involve content related to breaking news or education policy, will likely only require minimal writing.
- Proven editing skills, ideally in an online journalism environment, with 2-4 years of experience
- Experience using AP style
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and attention to detail
- Basic understanding of HTML and web production via content management systems
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and online analytics reporting
- Interest in and knowledge of higher education is a plus
- College degree or equivalent
Applicants must provide a resume and cover letter.
We are offering a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes healthcare, dental, vision and 401(k) plan.