Manhattan Calendar Editor (Freelance)
NYMetroParents is seeking a freelance calendar editor for Manhattan. The calendar editor will find, edit, publish, and curate kids and family event listings for the monthly Big Apple Parent magazine and NYMetroParents.com. The editor will also serve as a local reporter/editor, building relationships with Manhattan venues and writing stories for the website and/or magazine.
- Compiling events and ensuring they are entered into our system by communicating with venues regularly; working with others internally and externally on data entry; and/or inputting some events yourself.
- Sourcing photos for events as needed.
- Editing events, ensuring information is complete and that listings follow in-house style, and publishing a certain number per month to our website.
- Curating and categorizing events for print, including editing listings for size and style.
- Working with our sales team to ensure clients’ events are listed appropriately and in a timely fashion.
- Developing relationships with contacts at local venues to ensure they are submitting their events and news in a timely fashion.
- Writing short previews of upcoming events.
- Writing articles for the website and/or magazine, which can include reports of visits to venues, news about local activities, roundups of events, and more.
- Be knowledgeable about and interested in Manhattan kids’ activities and venues (museums, parks, etc.).
- Have strong written and oral communication skills, and comfort with new software and websites.
- Have experience following a style guide, the skills to produce clean, accurate magazine and web copy, and the ability to hit all monthly deadlines.
- Understand how to write/edit for a mass audience of local parents.
Pay is project-based (monthly flat fee) and the role is estimated at about 40 hours per month.
NYMetroParents, part of Davler Media Company, is the largest publisher of local parenting media in the U.S. In addition to Big Apple Parent in Manhattan, our monthly magazines cover Brooklyn, Queens, Westchester, Rockland, Nassau, and Suffolk, all of which are represented on the NYMetroParents.com website. Publishing robust calendars online and in print is central to our business and among our most popular features.