Senior Book Designer
Hollan Publishing/Castle Point Books is seeking a Senior Book Designer to join our colorful team. This is a full-time, contract, remote position, so the candidate can work from his/her home office. Reporting to the creative director, the senior designer will assist in the production of a variety of titles in our evolving list that includes cookbooks, gift books, religious books, and coloring books, to name a few. The environment is collaborative and fast-paced. We are looking for someone who is able to take direction, but is also a self-starter. We’re hoping to find a candidate with a strong eye for design, a love of typography, and great attention to detail. The ideal candidate will be highly organized and able to switch gears regularly in order to stay on top of a demanding schedule.
Main Responsibilities Include:
• Providing design services and overall support for creative director.
• Designing book covers and interiors from concept to final mechanicals.
• Production design: taking an approved design template and applying it throughout a book.
• Providing technical assistance and reviewing final files.
• Working with freelancers to make sure they properly set up and supply files, adjusting and correcting files in house as necessary.
• Repurposing existing content and making reprint corrections as needed.
• Preparing print-ready mechanicals for a wide range of formats and finishes.
• Collecting all necessary files and documents pertaining to a project and archiving following established procedures.
• Conducting photo/stock art research.
• At least 5 years of book design and production experience.
• Well versed in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign/Photoshop/Illustrator/Acrobat).
• Ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines.
• Thorough understanding of the book design and print production processes.
• BFA preferred
* Ideal candidate will have worked successfully as a full-time freelance designer.
Please submit digital portfolio/website link and salary requirements.