Public Relations Manager
Public Relations Manager
Reporting to the Director of Communications and working closely with a dynamic Dean, the Public Relations Manager is responsible for promoting and advancing the Law School’s reputation as a leader in legal education and legal scholarship. The Public Relations Manager will ensure that faculty, academic programs, and centers and institutes are effectively publicized to key audiences across multiple platforms. Primary responsibilities include strategic media relations planning and execution, with an emphasis on discovering, crafting, and pitching news stories to national media. The ideal candidate will possess in-depth knowledge of New York City metro and national media markets; a track record of success at placing stories with major news outlets; experience with strategic use of social media to reach targeted audiences; strong interest in the law and legal issues; ability to comprehend and convey sometimes complex legal scholarship to both general and specialized audiences; exceptional writing, interviewing, and storytelling skills; and sound judgment and discretion in dealing with media and the Law School’s constituencies.
- Develop and implement effective media relations strategy with regular outreach to New York City and national news organizations.
- Build relationships with key reporters and editors at top-tier and influential media outlets.
- Write compelling pitches, press releases, press statements, website content, social media posts, etc., about faculty scholarship and activities, institutional priorities, and the work of programs, centers, clinics, students and alumni. Work closely with the Marketing Manager and Online Communications Manager to coordinate content across platforms.
- Serve as primary media liaison and on-call media spokesperson.
- Serve as primary PR consultant for key constituencies, including faculty, students, alumni, and administrative departments.
- Produce weekly In the News Digest for internal constituencies and biannual Faculty Newsletter.
- Assist the Dean with special communications projects and other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Exceptional writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to distill complex material into compelling content
- Proven ability to meet tight deadlines and juggle multiple responsibilities
- Keen attention to detail with extensive editing/proofreading experience
- Tact, discretion, and sound judgment
- Expertise in social media
- Ability to cover evening events, as needed.
- B.A. or M.A. in public relations, marketing, journalism, English, communications, or related field
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible PR experience at an academic institution, corporation, agency, or nonprofit organization
- Experience dealing with the legal media preferred
- Experience in higher education a plus
Please forward a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. To learn more about the Law School visit www.brooklaw.edu.
Brooklyn Law School is an EEO Employer.