Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
The Editorial Assistant provides editorial support to Acquisitions Editor(s) in the Computer Science acquisitions team. S/he receives direction and work assignments directly from the Acquisitions Editor(s). This is a wonderful opportunity for an entry-level candidate eager to gain exposure in scholarly publishing.
Reporting into the Editorial Director, the Editorial Assistant must be able to analyze incoming calls/e-mail and provide any necessary feedback and troubleshoot any problems that may arise in the Editors’ absence. S/he must be flexible and able to prioritize, organize and coordinate work assignments and to determine the most efficient way to accomplish each task. Other responsibilities include: corresponding with authors/editors, preparing book and journal proposals and contracts, maintaining paper and electronic files, managing all accepted journal articles/issue for timely publication and updating future publication plans accordingly; preparing books for production for rapid publication. Specific responsibilities include:
- Handle non-strategic issues to maintain scholarly journals: office point of contact when Editor is traveling, prepare new editorial agreements for Editors, update internal systems, request checks, maintain addresses Editorial Boards, etc.
- Schedule journal issues and analyze/prepare future scheduling.
- Preparation of incoming manuscripts for production and publication e.g., photocopying of manuscripts and labeling/organization book files, thorough scrutiny of manuscripts for internal consistency and completeness (as well as supplying camera-ready front matter material for each manuscript, including Table of Contents and Index when needed), completion of all internal forms to be circulated with manuscripts.
- Logging of outstanding permissions and solicitation of permissions from the appropriate publishers/outside authors and/or interaction with Springer authors/editors to assist in the securing of permissions.
- Soliciting peer reviews for prospects and signed projects as needed or as directed by Editor.
- Preparing contract folders, arranging royalty payments for Series Editors, supporting monitoring and processing of reprints.
- Under supervision of Editor, fulfilling Author/Editor needs, preparing a "before, during and after" relationship with the author.
- Generating back cover copy and book marketing plans for Editor's review and approval (in close cooperation with Editor and product management).
- Acting as liaison between Authors, production department and promotion departments after manuscripts have been submitted to production.
- Maintenance of projects database for proposals, upcoming and published books.
- Use Microsoft Office software, including Excel, Word and Outlook, plus additional database software, including internal systems: BFlow, JFlow, etc.
General Team Support:
- Maintain large database of information about guest editors and editorial records for high-volume journals. This primarily includes data entry, but also organization of files in a transparent way for use by others on the team.
- Maintenance of Sharepoint database for archive and pipeline.
- Prepare materials for conferences, including assistance in PowerPoint presentations.
- Coordinate ongoing production, marketing, special sales, HR, conference, and other internal departments deadlines, keep track of them, and broadcast to group.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Bachelors degree witht least 6 months of office experience.
- 1-2 years' experience in either science publishing or journal publishing is preferred.
- Very strong Excel skills required to manage tracking projects across a protfolio of journals.
- Laser focus and attention to detail; exhibiting strong orgainzational and analytical skills are a must.
- Ability to set own schedule as well as team schedule and follow up on multiple projects as appropriate.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; thorough knowledge of office procedures including efficient filing.
- Must be able to act diplomatically in representing Springer.
- Strong computer skills required in MS Word, and Excel; database and other software capabilities.
Please submit your application by July 15, 2017.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster: