NowThis is seeking an Associate Producer to create social videos on our Politics team. The Associate Producer is the entry-level video journalist position at NowThis. The AP will create short-form video stories for mobile and social audiences. Shareable, short-form social videos are the foundation of a NowThis channel, informing our audience with everything they need to know. This position reports to the Political Director.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and clips with this application.
- Scour the web and social feeds constantly for the most important, engaging and visual trending stories of the day in politics and quickly turn them into compelling short-form videos
- Own the video creation process from pitch to publish (ideas, reporting, scripting, asset gathering, video editing, prep for publish)
- Discover and fact check stories using real-time news-gathering tools
- Master the NowThis video editing style and graphics package
- Channel the NowThis voice, creating smart, digestible scripts that drive social media conversation
- Turn around scripts and video edits on tight deadlines (several quickturn videos per day)
- Conduct interviews with subjects (in person, on social or remotely) to add a unique perspective and push the story forward
- Work breaking news and event coverage as needed, sometimes in off-hours
- Work closely with the Head of Social Video and Publishing, to use data to further optimize, A/B test and overall improve the performance of your videos
- Minimum 1+ year using Adobe Creative Cloud programs (Premiere Pro and Photoshop a must, After Effects is a plus)
- Minimum 1+ years professional experience in digital media or a newsroom
- Minimum 2+ years video editing experience
- Comfortable working within deadlines, under pressure, and juggle multiple projects
- A curious, critical thinker, always looking for stories & has a sharp understanding of social media and video platforms
- A passion for video storytelling
- Strong grammar, writing and copy editing skills, a plus
- Breaking news experience, a plus
- Familiarity with DSLR cameras, basic lighting and mobile filmmaking, a plus
**Candidates can work out of New York, NY or Washington, DC.**
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.