Digital Community Coordinator
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups and supporters to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Miami, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
This position is for the Digital Community Coordinator. Earthjustice is expanding rapidly across many different offices and as a result, so is our need for coordinated, effective internal communication. We are looking for a highly motivated, outgoing individual to help us work more efficiently, communicate effectively and maintain a positive and open organizational culture, with a focus on building out and managing our new intranet platform and promoting connections between Earthjustice’s headquarters and regional offices.
- Works with the Vice President of Communications to identify the best and most valuable ways to improve communications at Earthjustice in ways that make employees feel connected, valued, and recognized—especially for employees of remote offices
- Works with the Director of Digital Strategy and the Digital Team as the primary manager of Atlas, the Earthjustice intranet
- Onboards, trains and manages the team of Community Managers that populate Atlas with content from their departments
- Works with the Digital Team and the software vendor to provide technical support for Atlas
- Leads and advises on communications content and scheduling from staff to the entire organization. Helps set appropriate boundaries for the best use of time and resources (e.g., might help on important communication to entire organization from Finance or Human Resources Department, but will not help one staff person write an email to another staff person). Provides trainings to staff on blogging, writing emails, etc.
- Develops and implements strategies to promote adoption of Atlas within Earthjustice
- Prioritizes and promotes content from staff to encourage engagement with Atlas
- Help shape agendas and program planning for all-staff engagement opportunities, like All-Staff Calls, the All-Staff Meeting, brown-bag lunches, etc.
- Manages the onboarding and support of our chat tool, Slack
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public policy, communications, or environmental fields highly desirable but not necessary
- 3-5 years at one other organization where internal and/or culture-building communication was a large part of the job
- Quick adaptive skills to different organizational cultures and understanding of how communications contributes to organizational culture
- Excellent speaking and writing skills
- Understanding of the broad and diverse range of personalities and information needs that make up any organizational employee population and ability to think quickly about messaging on key organizational initiatives
- Friendly and outgoing personality and high emotional intelligence
- Interest in making a deep commitment to a mission-driven organization
- Ability to work with staff in a team environment and exhibit strong team building/participation skills
- While this is not a technical skills position, some fluency with various information platforms would be helpful (e.g., person can review and format a blog post on Atlas)
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter online via the Jobvite system.
Please reach out if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.