Consumer Finance Reporter
- Full Time
MagnifyMoney, a subsidiary of LendingTree, was founded in 2014 with a simple mission statement: to put money back into consumers’ pockets by empowering them with knowledge they can use to pay down debt and grow their wealth.
As part of the LendingTree team, we’re publicly traded (TREE), we’re financially sound and we’re in the top 10 of Fortune’s 100 Fastest Growing Companies. If you’re looking for an opportunity with a dynamic company that is fanatically pro-consumer and that champions your entrepreneurial spirit, then you’ve come to the right place!
Our clothes are casual and relaxed, and our work ethic is highly professional. It is our culture for each team member to challenge the status quo, express their opinions, and to stand up, ask for the ball and run with it to meet our aggressive goals. We also have a lot of fun together! We’re always looking for the best, brightest, high energy, results-driven Rock Stars to join our team. We reward innovation, creativity and the ability to just GET STUFF DONE.
WHO YOU ARE
You’re a storyteller, a team player and insightful about what makes people tick. You’re intuitive and bright. You challenge the status quo. And your writing is so insanely good that people not only pay attention, they take action.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
We aren’t looking for a writer who will pitch us the next “5 Ways to Save on Summer Vacation”. We need talented journalists with a proven track record in personal finance reporting and a passion for the subject matter that drives them to find new and interesting ways to tell consumer finance stories. We want stories that drive consumers to act -- to ditch their expensive bank, to negotiate their bills, to recognize the signs of a used car scam before they fall for it, etc.
- Scrape the daily news for pressing personal finance stories and pitch original story ideas at weekly pitch meetings
- Pitch and produce at least one feature story per month, involving multiple sources and a personal story from a consumer
- Meet deadlines consistently and deliver accurate copy that meets our our strict editorial code of conduct
- Write and publish at least 3 news stories per week
- Work with video team to adapt stories into scripts for videos
- 3-5 years of journalism experience
- Demonstrated ability to pursue untold stories in the personal finance, finding unique human stories by reaching out to consumers and expertly turning their personal stories into articles that can educate and inspire consumers to take action in their own financial lives.
- Demonstrated ability to hone in on breaking news events and find the unique consumer finance angle and craft a compelling story informing consumers what the changes mean for their wallets.
- Must be able to find your own expert sources, cite them accurately and fact check
- Must be an exceptional oral and written communicator, and able to accept constructive criticism of their work
Please include in your application:
- Three links to your favorite pieces of work
- Three ideas for unique stories you’d like to write for MagnifyMoney