Freelance Magazine Editor
South Bay Accent, an award-winning, bimonthly lifestyle publication serving Santa Clara County/Silicon Valley, CA, has a permanent part-time, freelance contractor position available for an experienced Managing Editor residing in the South Bay area (Silicon Valley, San Jose and the Peninsula).
You will be part of a team that produces this regional publication celebrating its 39th year. Your workload is based on the magazine’s two-month production schedule and the workflow varies during each issue’s cycle. Work is done off-site except for final proofing in-office once every other month.
Features span a range of interests, from interviews with local personalities to current trends, from health and fitness to business and finance, fashion, interior design, education, the arts, travel, entertainment and dining. View us at southbayaccent.com.
• Researching and developing story ideas pertinent to the area and readership • Developing story packages and assigning to writers
• Editing and writing, including headlines, decks and coverlines
• Interacting with design, production and advertising elements • Maintaining editorial schedule
The ideal candidate is a mature, intelligent, upbeat, dependable and detail-oriented professional with a flexible schedule. Someone who is creative, highly-organized and can work efficiently under deadline pressure. This is a great position for someone with an established freelance business who wants ongoing work.
• Lifestyle oriented magazine writing/editing experience required • Good research skills
• Story packaging and assigning experience.
• Creative headline and deck writing
• Expert knowledge of AP style
• Excellent proofreading skills required
• Must be highly in-tune with the local area.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A journalism or related degree and 5+ years writing/editing magazine experience is necessary.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and samples of published stories to email@example.com
SAN JOSE, SILICON VALLEY, SANTA CLARA COUNTY, CA CANDIDATES ONLY!
Please only apply if you are an established freelancer with a home office and you meet the specifications for this position.
Note: All qualified applicants will be required to complete a sample editorial assignment as outlined by South Bay Accent for creativity, style and capability purposes.