Reporting to the Director of Campus and Media Relations, the staff photographer /videographer will be a visual storyteller. The primary goal is to produce consistent high-quality photographs and video to enhance Skidmore's visual identity according to established standards.
This includes planning a creative composition, analyzing the best approach to each assignment, and having the ability to make people feel comfortable and relaxed while taking photos or video of them.
- Approach each assignment with the visual story in mind while remaining consistent with Skidmore's visual identity.
- Demonstrated ability to capture found moments within a community using good judgement, creativity and by establishing rapport with diverse members of that community.
- Execute a large variety of photography and videography assignments including on location, studio, portraits and events. Has a thorough understanding of lighting in all of these situations.
- Scout locations and assess possible obstacles in filming and provide solutions or alternatives.
- Captions photos. Provides identification of photographic subjects as well as brief written factual accounts/reports of campus-related happenings and events to correspond with submitted photos/videos.
- Processes, adjusts and retouches digital files for optimal results for home page and various publications.
- Uploads photos to college's photographic archive, meta tagging college related images for future use.
- Prioritize and organize multiple assignments each day.
- Have the ability to work flexible hours, including early mornings, nights and weekends, as required to cover assignments.
- Thrive in a collaborative work environment and have the ability to solve problems creatively.
- Knowledge of photo editing software, using Adobe Creative Suite. Basic Video editing skills using FCPX or Premier Pro CC.
- Ability to independently troubleshoot hardware and software.
- Maintains quality control and consistent look and feel throughout production of photo and video assignments.
- Be self-directed, self-motivated and self-sufficient.
- Takes responsibility for decisions, performance, and outcomes; behaves in a responsible manner with a positive attitude; shows self-awareness and openness to feedback.
- Employee must on occasion move/lift up to 40 pounds of photography/videography equipment.
Minimum qualification: BA/BS or equivalent coursework and/or 3-5 years' experience in photography and videography. Degree in photo journalism, film, photography, communications, or marketing is helpful but not required. Knowledge of Canon DSLR camera and photo processing using Adobe Creative Suite with a high level of proficiency in creating compelling images. Basic video editing skills. Must be organized, detail oriented, excellent communication skills, creative problem solver, self-directed and self-motivated. Must have the ability to work flexible hours.
Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To learn more about and apply for this position please visit us online at: https://careers.skidmore.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=58309
Skidmore is a highly selective liberal arts college with a reputation for its creative approaches to just about everything. With its relatively small size and student-faculty ratio, the College is a close-knit academic community. Skidmore is known for its faculty of teacher-scholars devoted to the instruction and mentoring of undergraduates; approximately 2,400 talented men and women from some 47 states and 46 countries.
We encourage applications from under-represented groups as well as individuals who have experience with diverse populations; women and minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result.
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.