Story Development and Production Lead
Episode is a mobile storytelling network and platform created by Pocket Gems. Episode aims to define storytelling for the 2+ billion people on mobile with animated, interactive stories that are part TV, novel, movie, and mobile game. Since launching in 2014, users have viewed over 3 billion episodes (equivalent of ~57,000 years) across 60,000+ stories. Over 6 million storytellers have signed up to create their own stories, including award-winning screenwriters and published novelists. Episode also partners with major studios and industry stars to create stories such as Mean Girls: Senior Year, Demi Lovato: Path to Fame, and Pretty Little Liars.
We are looking for a creative leader to join Episode’s Story team to develop and launch new Episode series.
- Lead development of new Episode series from story pitch through pilot, and through production of multiple seasons
- Build and maintain relationships with great writers, story artists, and other storytellers, identifying the talent of tomorrow and building strong teams
- Generate new Episode ideas/concepts as well as field pitches from outside storytellers
- Oversee creation of story bibles, scripts, and all other aspects of written development
- Guide strong visual storytelling, using Episode’s existing visual libraries and partnering with Episode’s artists and animators to expand those libraries as necessary for each production
- Seek out, respond to, and iterate based on qualitative and quantitative feedback throughout the development and production process for story, scripts, art, and animation
- Partner cross-functionally on Episode launches, press, marketing, data analysis, and general programming needs
- Lead and mentor team members
- 5+ years working with writers, editors, storytellers and leading / managing a team
- Passion for great storytelling and for Episode’s vision and current audience
- Significant experience developing and/or producing commercially successful stories
- Demonstrated knowledge of the creative process from concept through production, including a deep understanding of story
- Demonstrated creative development and management skills
- Strong existing relationships with writers and other storytellers
- Excited to develop new ideas and build new relationships
Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including Anthem PPO, Kaiser health plans, and free One Medical membership. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) match. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.