NowThis is seeing an Editorial Producer for its science and technology channel. The Editorial Producer for Future serves first and foremost as a copywriter and copyeditor for social video at NowThis Future, supporting video creation efforts in a variety of roles. You will primarily copyedit, punch up, and fact-check text-on-screen video scripts, write SEO headlines, and contribute social media copy.
Shareable, short-form social videos are the foundation of all NowThis Future content. In this role, it will be your responsibility to help us find and tell the science and technology stories everyone will be talking about on various social channels.
- Proofread scripts for NowThis standards in terms of grammar, clarity, accuracy, style guide, and other errors - ensuring “first cards” are attention-grabbing and shareable
- Channel the NowThis Future voice and style, creating smart, digestible scripts that drive social media conversation
- Turn scripts and edits on tight deadlines (sometimes 15 scripts per day)
- Work closely with the Senior Editorial Producer to maintain, improve, and channel the NowThis Future voice and tone through all scripts and copy
- Write attention-grabbing and accurate SEO headlines and social media copy for videos, ensuring they are unique and optimized for each platform (including Facebook copy, Tweets, and Instagram captions)
- Be a go-to source for Future team members for questions on grammar, style, and fact-checking
- Work breaking news/event coverage as needed, sometimes off-hours (launches, announcements, etc.)
- Maintain the editorial calendar and alert Senior Editorial Producer of relevant upcoming events, announcements, and protests related to space, technology, health, science, climate change etc.
- Keep an organized rundown of daily pitched stories, assignments, and their corresponding deadlines
- QC final videos before they’re published to ensure all spelling, sourcing, and copy meets NowThis style and accuracy standards. It’s imperative all videos are published error-free
- Own our CMS and partner feed publishing
- Contribute to Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat workflow as needed
- At least 2+ years professional experience in journalism, digital media, or a newsroom
- Excellent grammar, writing, and copy editing skills
- A passion for science and technology storytelling
- Obsessed with all things science and tech, from gadgets that break newsfeeds to research-based reporting on upcoming Mars missions
- Proven ability to work on deadline, under pressure, and juggle multiple projects to completion
- Seriously organized - you will be handling both daily and yearly editorial calendars for the team
- A curious, critical thinker, always looking for stories
- A sharp understanding of social media and video platforms
- Ability to work independently and loves collaborating in small teams
- Eager to collaborate with video makers on projects from start to finish
- At least 1+ year covering science and technology at a publication
- Video experience a plus
- Contacts in the industry such as experts, doctors, researchers, makers, inventors, etc.
- Ability to find new angles on science and technology stories that go beyond the headline
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.