Executive Director - University of California Press
The University of California seeks an innovative, inspiring, and forward-looking Executive Director to lead its 124 year-old University of California Press.
The University of California Press is one of the six largest U.S. university presses (measured by total annual revenues) and publishes approximately 185 books and 30 journals annually. The Press also currently publishes a growing line of digital products, including open access books and journals. The Press currently has 80 FTE and its books are distributed domestically to the book trade by Ingram Publisher Services. Overseas, the press maintains a strategic partnership with Columbia, Princeton, and MIT to distribute and sell UC Press books throughout the UK and Europe. The press also maintains key partnerships with several major service providers to host subscription and open access journals online, and to provide fulfillment and customer service for its portfolio of subscription journals.
Located in Oakland, California, the Press draws from the expertise of the faculty on ten UC campuses and plays a major role in the University’s preeminence as a public research university.
The Executive Director of the UC Press sets the tone for a forward-looking publishing enterprise in a range of disciplines and platforms and is responsible for leading all UC Press functions and establishing strategic vision, overseeing daily management of operations, and ensuring fiscal stability. Central to success is the establishment and maintenance of a compelling brand that has the respect of academic publishing communities worldwide and continues Press success in digital publishing and open access products, and in its long tradition of prize-winning book and journal publication.
The Executive Director will have broad oversight over editorial direction, business development, budget planning and control, fundraising, technology applications, business partnerships, production, distribution, sales, marketing, and liaison with all stakeholders. Stakeholders include UC faculty, librarians, academic administrators, University leadership, authors, and a world-wide community of academic researchers. The Executive Director will have unparalleled opportunity to draw from and partner with the faculty on ten UC campuses and to seek new partnerships with UC researchers and innovators.
The Executive Director is advised by a Board of Directors, chaired by the UC Provost; editorial decisions are informed by the Academic Senate appointed Editorial Committee, which approves publication of all books. The Executive Director is Executive Director of the UC Press Foundation and will report to the Vice Provost for Academic Personnel and Programs at the UC Office of the President in Oakland.
- Bachelor's degree in an academic discipline or equivalent qualification required; an advanced degree such as a Ph.D. or MBA strongly preferred.
- At least 15 years of publishing experience including 7 years of progressively responsible management experience and/or combination of education and demonstrated leadership experience.
- A thorough understanding of the academic purpose and mission that guides university publishing; experience with managing scholarship and research in a rapidly evolving publishing environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current trends and developments in all sectors of publishing, including digital publishing.
- Demonstrated commitment to diverse communities, to inclusive work environments, and to diverse intellectual traditions.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and business management accomplishments.
- Demonstrated ability to sustain teamwork and partnerships with employees, stakeholders, academic leaders, and peers.
- Experience managing a multi-million dollar budget, based on generating revenues.
- Effective proficiency in oral, written, and electronic communication and presentation skills.
NOTE: The University of California has exclusively retained Jack Farrell & Associates (www.jackfarrell.com) to find the winning candidate for this position. Interested candidates should provide a resume by email to Jack Farrell (email@example.com). Thank you.