Assoc Art Director - Family Circle
Family Circle reflects how women and families live now-we are the intersection of what matters most to moms and the ever-changing cultural conversation around us. We broaden and embrace what "family" means today, which has evolved well beyond traditional definitions. We literally go full circle, from the joys and challenges of raising tweens/teens to successfully navigating the stuff of everyday life, like getting dinner on the table and juggling busy schedules. And we help her maintain a sense of self in the middle of it all.
Family Circle is seeking a self-motivated, ambitious, creative, meticulous team player for our Associate Art Director. The Associate Art Director will work closely with the Creative Director, designing monthly pages for Family Circle (all sections) and overseeing them from concept through close. Associate AD will also work closely with story editors as well as junior designers and production. Associate AD will be involved in color-proofing images as well as reviewing page proofs for accuracy. He or she will contribute ideas for evolving type and design of the magazine. She/He will assign illustrations, work with illustrators and negotiate terms. Periodically, she/he will design special Family Circle brand projects (special seals/bursts, presentations, etc).
Essential Job Functions
80% Designs assigned pages each month in cooperation with Creative Director, other designers, and story editors.
10% Assigns and works with illustrators, and oversees their contracts.
5% Collaborates with Copy Editors to ensure type specifications are consistent.
5% Evaluates quality of page proofs and makes corrections as needed.
Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts, Graphic Design or related field.
Minimum 5 years design experience at a consumer magazine.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Expertise in graphic design, typography and concept development.
* Able to research and communicate/interpret conceptual ideas.
* Awareness of contemporary illustrators and photographers.
* Excellent working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop; knowledge of Woodwing a plus.
* A self-starter who can traffic his/her own layouts through the editorial process, adhere to tight deadlines, and maintain quality throughout.
* Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills a must.
* Experience with/interest in digital design a plus.